Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aux. Telephoto lenses for Canonet QL1... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Aux. Telephoto lenses for Canonet QL17 (?) and Yashica Electro35GX (?) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On today's walk across a local flea market I grabbed an aux. telephoto lens. It is marked 'HiRoxer', no mentioning of the camera model it was made for. It has a 48mm male thread, and the lenses are ground such that there is an 'active' section in the center, the outer 10mm or so are ground to a different shape. I think this is designed for a camera with the meter cell inside the lens barrel. The only such camera with 48mm filter thread I know is the Canonet QL17-GIII.

But the lens looks brand new, the style of the 'HiRoxer' engraving does not look as if from the 70s. It does not have any distance conversion scale like other aux. telephoto lenses, it has an engraving on the barrel: Distance to object 2m - inf. The 'active' area of the lens has slightly smaller diameter than the front lens element of the QL17-GIII.

Does anybody know about this aux telephoto lens? I have heard that Canon made a telephoto lens for the Canonet but this is a very rare item.

I also still guess for which camera a Yashica aux telephoto lens I found on a camera show was made. It has an engraving 'Yashikor Aux Telephoto lens 1:5.6' and a distnnce conversion scale. It has a slip-on mount which fits on the Electro35GX lens barrel. It also has a cut-out for the meter cell which is inside the barrel on the 35GX (with a slip-on mount it can be adjusted so that the small window meets the meter cell - it's different with a screw-on mount as on the above mentioned lens, hence the 'meter cell zone' surrounding the 'active lens'). If it actually was made for the 35GX I made a real bargain. I recently saw a set of aux lenses for the 35GX go for more than 170 USD on ebay. I just have ONE lens but it did not cost more than the buyer of this item has to pay for the shipment...

Roger

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this be for a modern(ish) camcorder or even a digital camera? I have a Sony digital here that takes 48mm filters.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe... I am just wondering why this aux lens has a 'center lens' surrounded by a circular segment ground to a different shape. If they needed only the center part it would have been cheaper to use a lens of smaller diameter. That's what makes me believe it was made for a camera with a light meter cell inside the barrel.

On the other hand the engraving 'distance to object 2m - inf' might refer to a digital or autofocus camera.

BTW it focusses correctly to inf. on the Canonet. The outside ring is visible through the Canonet lens at f/2.8 and below but won't disturb the image if stopped down further.

Even if I can't use it on the Canonet: it came with a 48mm to 49mm step up ring which would have costed a few EUR, too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration