Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Reflex III repair problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina Reflex III repair problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shel Sherman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having difficulty reassembling a Reflex III front assembly to the camera body. There is a transfer shaft with a gear on each end that must be fitted into the body on one end and the front shutter assembly on the other. It is a blind assembly and may require a special tool or fixture to allow reassembly. If anyone who knows how to do this I would really appreciate some help. I have posted pictures of the assemblies on my website at http://www.shelsherman.com/RETINA_REFLEX_III.HTM

Thanks for any help.

Shel Sherman.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i haven't done this, shel; is it possible to remove the lateral rack from the back of the shutter assembly and put that back in after reassembly?

:)=

Shel Sherman

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately,no. The front portion of the shutter assembly attaches by means of several screws inserted from the back face of the shutter assembly. I even tried drilling a small pilot hole in the front end of the transfer shaft and tried to guide it into place via a hole in the shutter assembly. The hole is where the small shaft protruding beyond the gear gets inserted. I was unable to make it work.

The factory obviously had a way of fitting these parts together quickly, as opposed to the hours I have spent on a single assembly. There's gotta be a way!

Shel

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Shel.
I've tried this on two cameras--one was an S model, the other was a III. The first time I got lucky and it went right in. The next time I worked for three evenings, couldn't get it back for anything, and that one is still in a box two years later. My best guess is these were either assembled using special jigs or fixtures, or there was some secret alignment trick you had to know or be taught. Either that or divine intervention helped me on the first one I did. Like I said, one was simple, the other was a pure nightmare. Good luck.
Jon

Ed

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kodak supplied a tool that screwed onto the front plate and had provision for adding tension to the spring that is on the shaft--used to have one but gave it away years ago. Good luck--I think you're in for a lot of fun (?).

Shel Sherman

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the inputs guys. Retina (Kodak) had to have some special fixturing or the cost of each camera would have been huge. Ed, I sure wish you still had that tool, or a picture of it. If you remember what it looked like I would appreciate your sending me a sketch. I have already built two special assembly tools, one to help reassemble the leaves in the shutter, and another to allow hand winding of the shutter charging spring during assembly and test. If anyone is interested in these I will be happy to supply information on them.

I am going to solve this problem !!!

Thanks everyone.

Shel

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Memory sometimes can be a problem. Been many years since I worked on any of these. The tool, as I know remember, fastened to the body just above the shaft that goes to the front plate (has a coil spring on it). It fastened to the top with a knurled screw and was such that it retained the shaft and it had a short leg with a groove that the spring could be tensioned and hooked into the groove. I checked and no where do I have a drawing or photo of this, but with the tool yoiu've got a problem! As I recall I gave the tool to some repair out east that advertised as doing a lot of Retina repair.

Shel Sherman

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ed. Looks like I will have to invent an equivalent tool, unless omeone else in this forum has more data on this tool. So far I have had to create two tools of my own, so why not a few more.
Thanks agian,
Shel

Robert

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's Tool #1059, Fixture - Control Shaft Alignment. The Reflex IV manual doesn't show a photo of it.
Back in the 80's an independant tech trained on Kodaks told me you spent about 2 days a year taking factory training at your own expense.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration