Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Xg1 focusing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta Xg1 focusing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John S.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The images on my Minolta Xg1 are not superimposed at infinity, and are off at shorter distances as well. They do move when the lens focusing ring is turned. How can they be adjusted.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, John.
First, I would determine whether the lens is actually focused correctly at infinity. Here is an easy way to do that:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

Next, if the lens itself is okay, I would see if something is keeping the mirror from dropping all the way to its stopping point. There should be no resistance...if you lift it up and let it fall, there should be a distinct click as it lands. If your lens is okay and the mirror is landing as it should, there are only two things left that will cause this problem...(1) the mirror needs to be adjusted (2) for some reason, your focus screen has been removed and replaced incorrectly. Generally this happens when the thin shim pieces beneath it are lost, misplaced or re-installed incorrectly. Did this problem just occur out of the clear blue, or did you just have it serviced, or did you buy it from somebody who claimed to have had it serviced?
Please let us know.
Jon

John S.

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon. Thanks for the quick response. When the lens is focused to infinity pictures taken beyond 40 feet or so come out correctly focused. Closer shots come out incorrectly focused when the split images are converged. My $20.00 antique store find was dropped about 2 feet and the focusing problem has been with me ever since.

John s.

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I misstated what was happening at infinity focus. I meant to say: When the lens is set to infinity on the barrel far away images don't converge in the finder but the resulting pictures are correctly focused.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

The giveaway for the diagnosis here is the fact that the camera was dropped. Most likely Jon's comments above are valid - either your mirror or the focusing screen are out of alignment. Question remains whether the camera was like this when you bought it or if the problem started after you dropped it.

I am inclined to believe the focus discrepancy is due to the fact the camera was dropped. Check if the mirror is sitting properly in its cradle or is the screen might have gotten knocked out of position.

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration