Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya 500 DTL and Cosina problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Mamiya 500 DTL and Cosina problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Cosina CSM SLR (not really a classic , I know :p )
One of the shutter curtains does not move across, so when you advance the film it get exposed. Anyone know how to get inside these things?

I replaced it with an old, but solid Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL, (as I had several M42 lens) I haven't run a film through it, as I wanted to give it a clean first. Is it possible/easy to get inside the prism box to give it a clean? It's kinda dark in there!

Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Nick

(At least my real classics are working well, Oly 35 SP, Yashica 35 GTN and a little used Canonet 28)

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My advice is: If your Mamiya 500DTL is operational, let it be.

Getting into these cameras is a bit difficult, especially removing the top plate and shutter
speed/ASA selector dial.

I have several of these cameras and they are fully fuctional after many, many years of usage.

Others may find them easy to work on, but I have not found them to be so.

Roland F. Harriston

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Addendum to my Mamiya 500TL/DTL comments:

Remember that these cameras have a "preview"
feature which allows you to see the depth of field at the aperture setting you have selected. There is a lever on the side of the lens which stops down the the aperture to your pre-selected setting. The viewfinder will become dim if you use this feature and the lens has been set at a small aperture.

This might the reason why the view is "kinda dark" to use your terminology.

Find the "Preview" lever and observe how it operates.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

HTH

Roland F. Harriston

Nick

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roland!

Depth of field preview/stopping down is fine, it's just hard to focus, as if the focusing screen has faded.
Maybe the focusing screen is off, maybe it's by design; I'm not familiar with these Mamiyas.

Thanks again!
Nick

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick,

The Mamiya Sekor TL/DTL finder is not one the brightest (in my collection anyway) but it should be very adequate especially with a F1.4 lens. There are a lot of these on eBay, most meters are dead but shutters are often okay. A good heavy beat about camera. Maybe the underside of the fresnel needs a good cleaning? Cleaning above the fresnel and under the prism will take some additional work but it's do-able. If you mess it up there are many others out there for $25 or so. I used a few to practice repairs on a few years ago. I'm not familiar with the Cosina CSM but presume it is more compact, uses M42 lenses and also has a cloth shutter. You might also consider one of the older Chinon SLRs to include CM-1, CE Memotron series; at least a Chinon with vertical metal shutter and the M42 mount. Later Chinon went to PK bayonet and I suppose some of those are fine too. In my mind, just about any 'all metal bodied' 35mm SLR is a candidate for classic status (and a few partly plastic ones too such as Canon AE-1). Cosina, Chinon and Mamiya/Sekor 35mm SLRs are undervalued, relatively unappreciated and very affordable. Most get the job done exceedingly well.

Nick

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gary,
I'll try cleaning the underside of the fresnel. Apart from that this camera feels extremely solid. Shutter speeds appear accurate, spot & average meters are working. (awaiting a film to be developed)

(I've also just bought a Chinon CE-5 plus an M42 to bayonet adaptor)
Next on the wish-list is a 50mm Takumar 1.4 lens, then I have promised myself no more camera stuff for a while!!

-Nick

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration