Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed2e-Pinholes in shutter curtain Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Fed2e-Pinholes in shutter curtain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Shelasky

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, I have discovered miniscule pinholes in the shutter curtain of my fed2e. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick repair other than replacing curtain? Thanks, Paul

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good grade of fabric paint will do it...DO NOT use dimensional fabric paint. This is the equivalent of white glue with tint in it. Find a grade of fabric paint such as TulipSoft or SoSoft and get the color of lampblack or opaque black or ebony or matte black. In my experience this is superior to Plasti-Dip, liquid electrical tape or any of the other silicone based products, but some have claimed those have worked for them. Be careful not to use too much of anything you use. The real secret is in finding something that blocks the most light with the least application.

Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't encountered any problems with the "Liquid electrical tape" stuff. It's vinyl, not silicone (silicone wouldn't stick), it stays flexible and has good opacity. I've used it for pinholes and for entire areas of curtain that have had the rubber come off.

WHichever stuff you use, apply it to the fabric side of the curtain for best adhesion and make sure it's dry and non-tacky before you wind the curtain. It will soak into the fabric and form a good light blocking layer without adding thickness. It doesn't look real pretty though, so I only consider it a temporary measure until I get around to replacing the curtain.

Also note: Pinholes are not actually holes: they're cracks in the rubber coating which has become brittle, and they look like individual holes through the weave of the fabric. If you see a few, there are probably a lot more that you haven't seen yet.....

:)=

Gary

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just thinking about repairing an Exakta that has small holes in the shutter curtain with the waterproof glue that Pentax sells for mounting the release button on the Zoom 90WR. It is very flexible and rubberlike. This is the glue= http://www.cemedine.co.jp/english/superx.html

Let me know if anyone here has used this great but expensive (about $28.00 from Pentax) product to repair shutter curtains.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's interesting stuff! Is it opaque black though?

:)=

Gary

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is black and looks to be opaque. If time allows, I will test some today.

Azfar

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For my SRT101 shutter curtain holes I used the black silicon rubber (bought from home depot, recommended by a "Camera Expert". I had it sitting overnight but it did not dry at all and frustrated as I was I had to press the shutter and yes the silicon gave away and holes were there once again. Help!!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Azfar. First, silicone compounds will not work, as you have learned. This is a matter of personal choice, but I have had excellent results with a good grade of fabric paint (the brand is TulipSoft or SoSoft) in a dark black shade (ebony, lampblack, matte black). Do not use dimensional fabric paint...it is nothing but white glue with some color added. Get the best grade of fabric paint. Rick Oleson says "Liquid Electrical Tape" has worked for him, and says the brand he used was not silicone based. Here are two suggestions. Good luck.

joe-tube

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just repaired the pinholes in my FED-2c the following way: I had some black butyl sealant left over from sealing the windows of my camper cabin, so I used a little of that, diluted it with a small amount of liquid silicone remover to give it a honey-like consistence, and added some rubber solving glue like you use for repairing bicycle punctures. I spread it over the entire rubberised cloth curtain side a few drops at a time, working it well into the fabric. I used a 150W light bulb brought close to the camera body to speed up drying the "paint", and to check for any remaining holes. I went over the shutter curtain again after a short while, this time with slightly more silicone remover (=solvent) added. No holes left, and the coating feels dry after leaving it overnight. Now how long will this last? - I wouldn't do this to my Leica M2, but what do you risk with a FED-2 (which costs 1/50th of the M2, but is AT LEAST half as good?)

Just my 2p & enjoy,

- Josef

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration