Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

ME Super shutter problem - only when ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » ME Super shutter problem - only when camera turned sideways « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Todd Hoogerland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an ME Super that had "lazy winder/mirror lockup syndrome". I did my first ever full teardown to the mirrorbox, and sure enough, that one nameless rubber washer (B52 in the service manual?) had rotted. So I replaced it, put it all back together, and amazingly, it works! The only problem is that when the camera is wound with the winder end pointing straight up (and ONLY then) the second curtain doesn't open. Turn it back horizontal or vertical with the ASA plate up, or even upside down, and it's fine. I never would have noticed it if I hadn't stuck an autowinder on to test and was holding it by the grip while firing. Has anyone seen this? I expect I'll have to tear all the way down again to see if it is in the shutter mechanism or the shutter/mirrorbox connections.

Frank LeMangelo

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an ME Super and a recommended service is to replace the rubber washers with delrin plastic washers.What type of washers did you use and what was your source.If you have an opinion about plactic verses metal or rubber I would like to know also.This would be a good article to see along with replacing K1000 washers.

Todd Hoogerland

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My replacement was just a thin slice of PVC (vinyl) tubing. I used PVC because it was the right size and handy, and because I was thinking in terms of "rubbery". ABS (Delrin) plastic is quite hard by comparison. I'm still not sure what the purpose of that washer is - it seems to just be a spacer for the spring that gives tension to the cocking / mirror lowering linkage. If so, why didn't they just position the peg closer? Perhaps the rubber provides some additional shock absorbing for the spring?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration