Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

35mm f/1.7 voigtlander ultron loose f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » 35mm f/1.7 voigtlander ultron loose front barrel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Frey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new to this site, this issue may have been addressed before but....
lens: 35mm 1.7 asph. Ultron Voigtlander screw mount w/ Leica m adt.
problem: front of lens is loose. when you hold the front of the lens and apply side to side and in and out pressure it moves approx. 2mm. in and out from the focus ring. Feels like its about to fall off the front of the camera. Focusing action is smooth
Is this a common problem with these lens?

anybody know how to get into it it to tighten it? or know a good affordable repair person for this type of job..?
thanks,
Peter

PS also in the market for a used Leitz M 35mm f/2 summicron. preferably user grade. clean glass yes, but finish not much of an issue..

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 is a fairly new lens... I would consider sending it to a 'trained' serviceperson. I believe Stephen Gandy of cameraquest.com is now an authorized Voigtlander (Cosina) distributor, and has been selling the lenses and cameras for several years in the US. He has a repair person who I would expect has seen enough of these to be well experienced with them, and may have official factory support for knowledge and tools now that he is an official US distributor.

It sounds to me like something is loose inside, either a threaded ring that is supposed to hold two portions together or perhaps individual screws intended to do the same thing... however I have no experience to tell you how to get into the lens. Some are simple, others more complex. Major disassembly may require resetting focus, and optical alignment may need to be verified as well.

Good luck, I have read that this lens is very good, probably as good as a non-asph 35 Summicron, as it is a more modern design. Probably not the 'same' as the Leitz lens, but just as sharp and with good contrast. A remarkable achievement considering it is 1/2 the cost...

Aaron

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once noticed from the Leica Forum of photo.net someone explained how he tightened this lens which he said is prone to have this problem. Perhaps you may do a search there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration