Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA aperture lever sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus XA aperture lever sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mickstephenson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A problem which I think is related to the flash unit actuator on the side of the camera body, which is supposed to pop out when the aperture (FN) lever is set to 'flash' from '2.8'. This always was a fairly stiff, if positive, action on this camera but is now impossible. The FN lever works quite freely between f22 and f8, then becomes *very* stiff over f5.6 and clicks suddenly onto a position between f2.8 and f4, *as if* actuating the flash, but failing.

Although a clearly a mechanical (leverage?) problem I might be tempted to attempt myself, I'm not sure of the difficulty involved, nor the financial feasibility of professional repair. Apart form this, the camera is mint-.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jackson

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased an XA that also has a problem related to the aperture selector. In my case, the aperture is full open regardless of the setting of the selector. Searched the archives, but didn't come up with anything. Must not be a common problem. If anyone knows the XA internals enough to take a guess, I'm listening. :)

Andrew Yue

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you need a repair manual, try manuals4less.com/olympus.htm for a photcopy of the original factory service manual. It's $15 and has most of what you need to know.

The aperture selector is accessable by partially disassembling the camera, so the front sliding cover can be removed. At this point the front lens fascia can be removed. You will have to remember which screw came from where.

Jackson

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew, do you know if the front lens element can be removed easily? It appears that it's held in place by the outermost plastic ring, but it's difficult to know for sure. Mine has a foreign particle on the inner lens that I would like to remove.

Thanks!

Andrew Yue

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackson, please don't tell a soul, but once I had the front cover and front fascia removed, I used a shop vac to remove all the various dust particles in between the lens groups. It worked.

Jackson

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Andrew, I did try to dislodge it with canned air, but I didn't remove the cover first. I'll try your method. Just one question: How did you prevent the Shop Vac from sucking up the entire camera? :)

Andrew Yue

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The XA has plenty of flow through ventilation. Since then, I keep the camera in a Rollei 35 zippered pouch when its not in use. That way, I can feel a little better about carrying it in a pants pocket.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration