Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica J-5 repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica J-5 repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I received a Yashica J-5 in cosmetically ok (actually pretty good except for the scratches on bottom plate) but mechanically horrible condition. Shutter speeds are off and inconsistent on slow speeds (I have no device to measure the faster ones), I hear whirling buzzing spring sounds from inside the camera when I wind it at speeds 1/2 through 1/8 (which means, I guess, that some spring is loosening before shutter is tripped) and nearly everything on the camera need to be cleaned/lubricated. The rear cover does not lock close, the locking mechanism on the camera is stuck. I would like to experiment fixing the camera. I have no high hopes but there is nothing to lose and I think I will have great fun and learn a lot no matter what the result is. How a few questions:

-Is there a relatively easy way of fixing the slow shutter speeds? (without disassembling all the mechanism)

-Is there any trick to removing the leatherette if I need to? And what kind of glue(?) should I use when putting it back?

-Is there any way to test the higher shutter speeds at home without wasting film? I can hear until 1/15 or 1/30 (by comparison)

I hope I can get this working or find another one that is working.I think the metering system on this camera is genious.

Thanks,
Berk

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. It is normal with most leaf shutters that you hear a buzzing sound when they are set to slower speeds and when you wind them.

2. It is not possible to fix a shutter without opening it. You can flush it with lighter fluid from outside but sometimes the problems even get worse.

3. Micro-Tools sells a tiny spade to remove leatherette. Women use a similar tool to push back their fingernail skin. To reglue leatherette, I mainly use plain household glue which sticks sufficiently but can be removed if necessary. You can also use contact cement such as Pliobond or Pattex.

4. You can try the tv screen trick described on Rick Oleson's page to check shutter speedsbut I found this does not work very good due to phosphorence of the screen, i.e. it still is lit in areas where the electron beam does not hit. Another method would be using an oscilloscope but it seems that the phosphorence problems occurs, too.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is focal-plane shutter, not leaf shutter

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops... sorry, I faintly remembered there was a Yashica J which is a leaf shutter camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration