Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic IIa Hot Shoe Dead Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax Spotmatic IIa Hot Shoe Dead « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mack Peirson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a clean Spotmatic SP IIa from a friend, and find that everything is working fine, except that the hot shoe is dead, and will not trigger any of my several flashes. I don't have a flash with a PC cord to check the socket on the front of the camera, but with a handheld meter, I do not get any indication of a closed circuit when I trip the shutter with a meter touching the contacts of the PC socket. What should I be looking for in regards to the hot shoe? is there a wire under the top cover that might be broken? If so, is there any special trick to removing the top cover on the IIa?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Farrell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera has a switch under the hot shoe, which turns on when a flash is inserted in the shoe. It is operated by pins under the shoe spring. The main contact for the flash shoe is also a spring, to allow removal of the top cover without unsoldering wires. One of the contacts involved in this system may be dirty, or have lost tension.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration