Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-11 won't fire in aperture ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XD-11 won't fire in aperture priority reliably « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck Cleveland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In aperture priority, at widest setting, sometimes the camera 'hangs' and won't release the shutter. Pressing the shutter release 4 or 5 times will sometimes get it to fire. Sometimes moving the aperture ring to the next stop will then permit an exposure to be taken, sometimes not.

Seems to only happen at the widest or next widest setting, and only in aperture priority mode. Happens with several of my lenses.

Sometimes it hangs to the point I have to turn the shutter selector to 'O' or 'B' to get the shutter to operate.

Any ideas? I love this camera and have used it since new in 1978. I was hoping it would be my last camera.

Michael Linn

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like it needs a CLA. This model has several variable resitors which consist if thin metal fingers which move across a resistor substrate. It's not unusual for one or more to get dirty ("stained" as Minolta calls it)over the last 25 years or so. I'd suspect the aperature value resitor in this case. That's the one under the lens ring. It could also be the film speed resitor (under the rewind knob) or the shutter speed / mode switch assembly under the shutter speed dial. They should all be cleaned. Could also be a bad capacitor but this model has the more reliable tantalum caps and not the cheap "cans" used in the later XG series. They rarely go bad.

I still have an XD-11 of the same vintage which had similar problems until the resistors were cleaned. It's never needed parts!

If you want to dig in, do a search here for the XD posts and check back for help if needed.

Good Luck

Mike

Chuck Cleveland

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Mike, for a very helpful post. I had already searched the archives here and didn't find anything specifically on point for this problem.

So, (since I'm a fairly techy person, build my own computers, kit my own carburetors ) if I want to clean the resistors myself, I will need the tech resources (manuals, directions, warnings etc) that have probably been posted somewhere. Do you have any suggestions? I have already ordered one repair manual on CD, but it's not the original Minolta manual, it is apparently a reprint from one of the camera mags, but supposedly very helpful. I haven't had luck in finding the Minolta repair manual for this camera.

Sorry to be long -- and thanks for the help you've already provided.

regards,
Chuck

Jim Foley

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
It does sound like the aperature ring resistor but you might just try "working" the resistors a little to clean them. Manually move the aperture ring through its full range several times. Also do the film speed dial as you probably don't move that one much. And don't forget the +/- compensation lever. I'm not sure if it has it's own resistor but it might. Just an idea.
Jim

Michael Linn

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chuck-

I posted instructions on August 9 for getting the top off an XD, which will give you access to the film speed and shutter resistors. If the magazine article you have is from the Camera Craftsman, it's excellent- better than the Minolta manual.

For cleaning the substrate and wipers, just use a couple drops of Ronsonol on a clean piece of cloth or paper towel.

Gilbert

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chuck I have a Minolta XD-5 which is a nice camera, I need to repair the aperture, it has been damaged. Any leads in Los Angeles,CA.?

Charles Cleveland

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the helpful comments. I will come back after I get through this procedure & post the results (hopefully successful).

Mike, I will check for your Auust 9 posting and also use the Ronsonol. (Who would have thought lighterfluid? I would have guessed carbon tet, benzine, or maybe Jack Daniels....)

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Cleveland

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Decided to test the camera first before tearing into it, in hopes that the problem could be narrowed down a little.

I am posting my test and request for help separately - (See post "Minolta xd-11 erratic exposure") August 25 04

Chuck Cleveland

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the cleaning drill on the film speed and aperture resistors (I found Mike's Aug 9 posting VERY helpful), and am happy to report that this camera is now back to 100%. It works as well as it did when I bought it new back in the late 70's.

So, I treated myself to a new lens (500mm RF F8 Rokkor). Looks like I'm back in business- thanks to all who provided assistance.

Chuck

Gary

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XD5 and the rear gasket where you put the film has gone away and it is letting light in. If I hold it tight it is fine but for tripod shots I get grey fuzzy pictures. Where can I get a replacement gasket?

Any help would be great....thanks!

Ron Sullivan

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minolta XD-11: "Sluggish/Delayed Shuuter"

PROBLEM:
The shutter actuation is delayed (1-5 seconds) after pressing the shutter button.

DESCRIPTION:
On any setting (O, B, X, 1-1000) and in any mode (M,A,S), pressing the shutter control button
with no lens on, results in the camera
1)Clicking(partially) and starting the shutter process
2)The aperature control lever (inside the body just below the mirror, used to move the lens aperature) moves about 1/2 way to the left (when looking into the lens opening).
3)The camera "hangs" or delays for 1-5 secs
4)The aperature lever slowly creeps to the left
5)The camera finally fires. (Mirror flips up/down, shutter fires.)

It appears that the shutter fires for about the correct time (except for O,B,X), and the meter seems to work OK.

(It "Almost" seems like a mechanical issue, rather than electrical, due to the O,X,B settings behaving the same way. As I recall, the O setting is supposed to fire at 1/100 and should work even when the batteries are dead as an "emergency" method)

New batteries were installed and the contacting areas were cleaned with a pencil eraser to remove the slight oxidation.

I read some posts about resistors here and tried to "Clean" them by just moving the parts back and forth, as a first attempt (Shutter speed ring, Mode setting, Film Speed ring, +/- Stop adjust lever). No improvement.

Your suggestions of what the problems may be and how to fix them are appreciated (as we know, Minolta won't do repairs on the XD-11 anymore). I've read the posts about cleaning some resistors, and am willing to disassemble the body and try this, but wanted to get a good feeling as to whether this applied to my problem, before I took things apart.

Also, I haven't found good info regarding the resistors located in the lens ring, such as what they control or how to get at them. (Maybe for this problem I don't need to know, anyway...)

Your help is appreciated.

Henry

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Leica R3 (very similar) open right now that was doing something kind of like that except the mirror was rising slowly. I'll post back when I discover the problem and solution. My R3 has a couple other issues too.

But it'll be a while because I got an engineering contract that will absorb all my time for at least a couple weeks. So be patient. Feel free to email privately though.

Henry

Michael Linn

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron-

I think that you have an entirely mechanical problem here. The diaphragm closing lever is connected to a ratcheted gear which can be slowed down or stopped entirely by gummy lubrication or dirt. I suspect that is your problem. It sounds as if the gear train is acting as a delay timer. Here is a quick fix you can try: remove the bottom plate (two screws) and move aside the battery holder (two screws). You will be able to see the edge of a brass gear. If you now release the camera on "O" you will see it move as the diaphragm lever moves. It may be covered by a thin plastic protector or two which you can pull aside. Try to get three or four drops of ronsonol down into the gear area. Try working the camera several times on "O". You'll quickly know if you are on the right track. If that doesn't work, let us know. If not, I would still suspect this gear train but we are now looking at some major disassembly. But always try the simplest solution first!

Good Luck,

Mike

Ron Sullivan

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael:

As my background is engineering, I too believe in trying the simplest solutions first.

I follwed your instructions, found everything where you indicated, and performed the described procedures.

I'm happy to report the camera is now back to its old self, firing without any "delays".

As I'm not a camera repair guru, but am familar with mechanical systems, I'm wondering if I need to add any Loctite (or similar product) to the camera bottom plate screws to keep them from "rattling/vibrating" out during use (but also allowing them to be removed if future repairs are needed). If so, which formula of Loctite is reommended?

As I'm in the repair mode...

I'd like to replace the light seals (between the back and body) as they are a bit dried out.

I'd also like to add the leatherette covering (which has fallen off and been lost) back to the left side of the body.

Can you offer suggestions for sources to obtain the parts /materials for these operations? Are these parts specific to XD-11s or are they generic "cut&fit" products?

Thanks for your help. I couldn't have repaired it without you.

-RON

Michael Linn

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron-

Always glad to hear a happy ending.

For light seal replacement see Jon Goodman on this board or just do an e-bay lookup under his seller ID "interslice" for his six dollar kit.

For some nice die cut leather kits for XD's I recommended Mr. Asahi at www.aki-asahi.com, or check out his e-bay offerings under"aki-asahi".

As for "loctiting" the screws on your bottom plate, you really shouldn't have to do that. Your XD is one of the smoothest cameras ever made, as is it's twin, the Leica R4.

Best Regards,

Mike

melissa

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need info on My Minolta , my roll off lever is not releaseing and the button on top to snap the photo will not do anything, i changed batteries any suggestions would be vwery much appreciated. Melissa in Ms.

Richard III

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarify: Are we to presume that "my Minolta" is the XD-11?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration