Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat light meter gone kookoo Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikkormat light meter gone kookoo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael B. Pinkey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had my trusty Nikkormat since 1972 and it has always worked perfectly for lo so many years...until a few weeks ago when I dropped it on the hardwood floor. This camera has been dropped before, once onto the SIDEWALK by a guy I lent it to, without any operational damage--and, also, it was purchased from a co-worker while I was serving as a photojournalist in the Marines, so it saw plenty of rought treatment before it came into my hands. After hitting my floor, however, the light meter is no good. At first I thought it was completely dead, but later I found (after coaxing the shutter-turns-meter-on mechanism) that, while the needle will settle in on "totally underexposed" or "totally overexposed," it wobbles erratically when brought into the range where it is supposed to indicate proper exposure. Can this be just now needing a new battery (the one in was years old)--can such a fall conk an old (but still fine-working) battery out? Or do I definitely have more dire problems?

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sounds like the resistive rings around the lens mount are bad--there is one that is just a contact strip and another that is a variable resistor. These are the shutter and diaphragm/asa rings. If the coating on the resistor ring is bad, and it does happen from wear, you've got a problem. sometimes the contact ring gets a little corrosion and can be cleaned--sometimes it comes uncemented. All of these things typically cause an irratic needle. To tell you how to repair these is beyond the scope of the forum, especially when it is not certain exactly which is the problem. Not sure if there is a manually that would cover this, but maybe.

Will

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ed,

This was a timely topic. I just picked up a Ft-n with a bad light meter (I think). Can I spray some contact cleaner in around the rings you mentioned in your post? Any other quickie checks I can perform?

Thanks,
Will

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haven't tried this--seems like you might have to flood it as ring surfaces are a little remote--don't know if I would recommend this method--I've always taken it apart.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration