Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 124G viewing assembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica 124G viewing assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I decided to clean the viewing assembly on my 124G. I removed the assembly and the clips that hold the ground glass/fresnel lense sandwich and removed and cleaned the glass and screen. At this point I was disturbed and it was several hours before I was able to get back to the job. Yes you have guessed it, I had forgotten in which order the glass/fresnel sandwich went back into the viewfinder assembly. Can someone help ?

Will

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian

The smooth side of the fresnel is to face down, and is the botton of the two glasses. The Etched side of the focus screen is to face down also.

Wil

Ian

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Wil, from what you have said when looking into the viewfinder I should be looking at the polished side of the ground glass, the nearest surface to the mirror should be the smooth side of the fresnel. Is this OK.

Will

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian,

Now I'm not 100% sure... After you asked I went to double check. I have 2 of these cameras and the two are conflicting each other on the fresnel.

BUT.. I'm going to revise my earlier statement and say the nearest surface to the mirror should be the ROUGH side of the fresnel. I say this fairly confidently as the 2nd camera I'm looking at is virtually brand new and never used.

So just to confirm here, you should be looking at the polished side of the ground glass, the nearest surface to the mirror should be the rough side of the fresnel. Sorry for the confusion.

Will

P.S. I wonder if the fresnel position would be critical, since one doesn't focus on it.(?) All it is doing is amplifying the light from what I understand. I can say that both cameras take well focused pictures though.

Ian

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wil,
Thanks for the information and your efforts, not many people would have stripped down 2 cameras to provide an answer.

Thanks,

Ian.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration