Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 aperature stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Lynx 14 aperature stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Flanders

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got around to working on the stuck shutter of the Lynx 14 I posted about earlier. A good drenching with light fluid freed the shutter, but with that working, the aperature is stuck at f16.

I have given the blades lots of lighter fluid, but so far, no go.

How complicated might this get?

Jon Flanders

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A common problem is the lever that connects the aperture setting ring to the diaphragm. This tends to slip out its slot or get bent. Also, if you have removed the control rings for cleaning, you have to make sure the lever is stting back in its slot during reassembly.
Its basically the same as on the Lynx 5000 -

http://daniel.mitchell.com/cameras/lynx5000/lynx5000.html

Dan

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, I got the link wrong:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/lynx5000/lynx5000.html

Jon Flanders

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dug deeper, thanks to Daniel's site, and found that the aperture setting ring lever was out of place. A sign of that was that the extremes of the ring, 1.4 and 16 didn't line up with the mark. I managed to get the lever back in place, it was nice and straight, and after some fiddling with the shutter ring got that reassembled as well.

So now all I have to do is keep cleaing the shutter blades with lighter fluid until they stop sticking. When left to dry they stick. A drop of fluid frees them up again. Hopefully I will get this solved and I will have a nice working Lynx 14.

Jon Flanders

Jerry Thomas

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went through the same deal with the Lynx shutter blades. What finally got it for me was to use generous amounts of Rosinol then blot up the excess with some small paper towels squares I cut up and a hemostat for tweezers. The idea being to remove the gunk desolved by the fluid. After about 6 or 8 cycles the shutter stopped sticking. Been several months now and it has not stuck again. So I don't think that it will any time soon. Fingers crossed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration