Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

An insect in my camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » An insect in my camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ruth

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so I was taking some pictures the other day on my SLR and I saw what looked like a bug crawling on my lens. luckily I was at the end of the film so I took a look inside the body and found a bug on the prism. I dont have any compressed air so I used a little squeez blow/brush to get him off. I couldnt see the offending insect anymore (which incidentally was miniscule [only a millimetre perhaps], white and roundish. So I closed the camera up, cleaned the lens, loaded it again, and put it away for a week (Im a bit buisy for photo's at the moment). I picked it up just then and I saw a bug again!! But this time the bug is much bigger and it has little antenas comeing from all over its body. Could it been alive all that time? How the hell did it get in there? How do I clean it so the bug is gone?

MrNov

Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been repairing cameras for over 20 years, and i still dont know how these bugs get in there. I've found them blown to pieces on flash circuits and walking around in the prisms. I normally strip the camera down to remove the prism and get rid of them. In the trade they are know as the drivers lol

Andy

Henry

Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My theory is these bugs are an early, undocumented auto-exposure design. But clearly the designers did not take the bugs life span into consideration, just like the designers didn't take the viscous life span of grease into consideration. :-)

But seriously, this is very common. Unfortunately serious disassembly is usually required even if the camera/lens is functional.

Henry

Ruth

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I thought as much. But it's the answer my hip pocket didnt want to hear. Is cleaning for my camera expensive? Which incidntaly is a Nikon fm2 (with the honey comb pattern titanium shutter), from around 1982 so it's kind of in this forums range. Im thinking because it fully mechanical, it cant be that much, although alot more than a starving student could afford.
Thanks again for the advice!

Howard

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ruth,
Why not remove the lens and leave it off for a while. He might find his own way out. It's probably worth a try.
Best wishes
Howard

David Ritchie

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ruth,
I do not see mention of removing the focusing screen on you FM2.An easy, simple job. Maybe it is trapped in that area. Remove the screen, give the inside a blast of air and you may just get the little rascal.

Henry

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just assumed the bug was dead. All the insects I've removed have been dead. But then I usually work on dead cameras that have set in drawers and boxes for years.

If the critter is still alive, by all means remove the focus screen and set the camera in a warmer than bug comfort area. Who knows, he may go home and leave the camera.

Henry

Big Bird

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olympus - ants inside camera.

Wife decided to take a picture of the total eciplse last night and discovered an ant colony inside her camera.

We do see ants around the house but never inside equipment. The camera has been sealed in its bag.

I guess nature fought us back for all those naked butterfly pics we took.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration