Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-11 erratic exposure Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XD-11 erratic exposure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck Cleveland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My XD-11 has been 'hanging fire' occasionally, so I decided to test it. A description is posted separately to keep length down. In summary, the camera seems to meter and set it's exposures correctly most of the time, but is erratic at wide apertures in all three modes (manual, A, and S).

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have yet to remove top and do a cleaning of the area contacted by the brushes at ASA, Exp. Comp, Aperture, and Shutter Speed knobs. I'm wondering if one of you experienced people knows what I should do in addition?

Chuck Cleveland

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To test, I went through all modes, trying for a high and low ev shot, and watching for anomalies. All tests were completed at ASA 400, no film, no exposure compensation, and using Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm F1.7 Performance of LED's and audible monitoring of shutter speed changes, as well as shutter 'hangs' were noted.

In "A" mode, starting at F16 and through to F1.7 (max for this lens), panning camera from sky to shade to get two shots of approx 1/1000 and 1 second shutter speed. This produced good performance from F16 up to F5.6, then good performance at 1/1000 all the way to F1.7 . But the 'shade shots'requiring slow speeds with wide apertures were flaky. LED's indicated stable shutter speeds, but exposures were sometimes several seconds long, or produced 'hangs' requiring turning the speed to "B" to release the shutter and drop the mirror.

Unfortunately, this happens randomly- sometimes four or five good shots at wide aperture & slow speed, then a hang or very long exposure. Sometimes even a dead release button, requiring several stabs to fire the camera or turning the speed selector to "B" or "O" to release (close?) the shutter.

In "S" mode, similiar things happen. Most speeds work perfectly at the higher F's, but with anything wider than F5.6 performance is erratic as above.

Hope somebody out there has an idea of what could be wrong- I will meangtime try to get some time this weekend to tear down the camera and clean the brush contact areas on the flex strip and around the lens opening in the body. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck Cleveland

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After cleaning the brushes that contact the flex strip (circuit 'board') and the ones at the aperture ring resistor, problems seem to have disappeared! Thanks to Mike and others who responded via email. Chuck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration