Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

F-1 slow shutter speed problem and 1/... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » F-1 slow shutter speed problem and 1/2000th problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again,

I am seeking some advice on some unresponsive/ poorly responsive speeds on a pair of F-1's.

#1 fires but anything below an 8th of a second leaves the second curtain hanging open. I have generally found that some lubricant applied to the right place is all that's needed to fix this problem, but this camera has been totally unresponsive to that plan of attack. Can anyone give me an easy way to fix this or, failing that, clear instructions on disassembly/reassembly? I am somewhat timid about this as I have never sucesfully taken a mirror box out of an F-1.

#2 fires fine at all speeds but on the 1/2000th speed the second curtain follows the first without any seperation--the film is not exposed at all. I have no idea where to bring rectifying this problem; any and all help is appreciated.

Much obliged,

Andy

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with F1s, but the second problem ("capping") is always due to insufficient tension in the second courtain spring. There should be two large screws somewhere in the bottom of the camera holding the ends of the two springs for the two courtains. The standard cure for this disease involves 1) identifying the spring of the second courtain (not that intuitive without a manual), and 2) tightening the screw. In some case it may be necessary to lose the screw before tightening it again - a careful process unless you want to see it flying across the room. Surely hope that someone would come out with a more detailed advice than this.

Ed

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the first curtain tension is weak so that the second curtain catches up to it, leaving no opening. It also sound like the second curtain tension is weak such that it hangs on slow speeds. Try adjusting second curtain so that slow speeds are okay and then increasing first so that you get the gap. Curtain tension shouldn't be brutal. When the shutter is tripped if you pull back on the second curtain there should a gently pulling from the spring--not strong. Be careful if you decide to pull the mirror box--the meter follower circle has to come off and that is hard to do without destroying it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration