Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14E 1C , Copal SVE shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Lynx 14E 1C , Copal SVE shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have done many successfully, but am I missing something ? Film advance crank, Moves transport rotates the shutter setting plate which rotates the main lever against tension of main spring. If the shutter setting plate does not return to original position, the shutter does not fire although the main main lever (and shutter)is cocked. WHAT RETURNS THE SETTING PLATE.??? Is it the spring on advance/transport, or is there another spring to return it. Should the shutter be reinstalled into the cocked or released, and should the film advance lever be tensioned first?

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That little thingy always messes me up, too. :) When testing the shutter off the camera you have to make sure to rotate the wind stem back to the starting position.

When put back on the camera, the advance lever returning to the start position should rotate the little plate thingy back to the start position. So when reinstalling on the camera you have to make sure the wind stem is rotated back to the start position so that the stem mates correctly with the winder. I find it is easier to tension the shutter and work the advance lever first before trying to mate them. This allows you to freely move the wind stem back and forth to fit into the slot it goes in. (Does that make sense?)

Will

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,

I am working on a Minister D - I think the shutter arrangement is similar and I haven't put it back together yet :-)

You said: "When testing the shutter off the camera you have to make sure to rotate the wind stem back to the starting position."

Just to make sure... the wind stem is the little stem with 2 keyed pins on it (on the shutter), and the starting position is released/fired position with slack taken out (I think rotated ccw)? At this point it get keyed into the female 2 notched stem, in uncocked wind mechanism?

Thanks,
Will

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will - I can't remember which way it rotates, but what you describe sounds correct.

The Lynx 14 has the big SVE shutter that is slightly different than the SV or MX shutter.

Will

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dan. I got it back together. No issues.

Will

Tom

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. It was in fact Pilot Error. While putting back, I neglected to turn shutter plate back to set position so when I got everything back, there was no back pressure from advance lever. Simple, but drove me nuts. Will be more careful from now on. Thanks again dan.
Tom

Richard

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am just so frustrated by getting a LYNX-14 off Ebay that has battery acid damage and don't work as its suppose to.. Oh yes, the seller said that he believed this camera worked and I get a partial refund and keep the lemon but it's cost prohibitive to have it repaired and I don't know much about cameras.. Sorry guys, just wanted to vent my frustration..

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, why not take this as a chance and try a DIY repair: is it a Lynx 14 or a Lynx 14 E ?
"Battery acid damage" sounds awful, and often it looks at first more serious than it really is at second thoughts; vinegar can often help reduce the damage, so do not scratch off what you consider irrepairable, I guess everyone of the people posting here regularly has had to deal with this.

Richard

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WernerJB, thanx for your response !! Its is a "Lynx-14"... What is "DIV" ?? I reattached the damaged battery wire and I did use plain vinegar, all without success.. Also I have another Lynx-14 that I purchased new, like in 1965 I think, and left the battery in it and it leaked and the battery wire was loose at the meter switch and the battery box.. I opened the camera and replaced the wire and it didn't work.. I contacted a camera repairman in Cali and he told me to just go on Ebay and buy one.. So I did and found the same problem when the camera arrived...Now there is yet another "Lynx-14" on Ebay that sounds good (item # 7630936133)... I am somewhat fearful of buying another old camera on Ebay.... Thanx

Richard

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WernerJB, sorry, I misread the "DIY"... Thought it was DIV... My bad...

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Altogether I have three Lynxes, and when they arrived two of them I bet were in worse shape than what you describe of yours. Shutters were not jammed, but aperture blades were unhooked, some of them were bent resp., the lightmeter of one wasn't working (this time the switch was the culprit!) batteries had leaked into the bodies and the rangefinders were out of focus, semi-silvered mirrors had gone blind (battery fumes!). And just because of all those faults, it was especially the banged up ones that were interesting. The logic behind this is: professional repair people will NEVER touch such wrecks except for salvaging parts from them, so there is nothing to lose even if you fail, and if you can fix them there will be a feeling of great pleasure! There is enough info in the forum ("Favourite Classics") and its archives ("Keyword Search") and there is also a lot of other Yashica related repair tips elsewhere on the net (Just google a bit !)
PS: all of the Lynxes are fully operational, of course, so why not yours also ? Good luck, W.

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, 2nd PS: the Lynx on ebay looks promising, and in the liner notes it says "excellent cond.", but it also says "Copal SVE lens" which is crap as this is the name of the shutter. Obviously the seller does not know this, so how dependable is his rating the camera as "exc." ??? You never know ...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration