Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon fe meter coupling lever... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon fe meter coupling lever... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

adam

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anybody have any advice on replacing what i think will be a spring in a nikon fe? the ring that moves round with the meter coupling ridge does not return properly when you set the lense to it's largest aperture [in this case 1.4 on a 50mm nikkor 1.4] it sits 1 stop up at the point where it would meet on an aperture of 2.0. it works fine though on apertures of 2.0 or above. i presume this is due to a weak spring somwhere that needs replacing. all the advice that i have got from camera repair shops seems to indicate that it will be more than i paid for the camera just to get it looked at! -- any advice appreciated.

Karim

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam,

The aperture ring (meter coupling ridge) is connected to a spring loaded drum located under the ASA dial via a string (yes !).

Maybe the string is too short (or the knot on the aperture ring is not at its end) : not allowing the ring to return to 1.4.
If the return to 2.0 is snappy, I would suspect that.

If the string is too short, it's a bit of a pain to repair (removing top cover, FRE and aperture coupling drum).
If the string is long enough but the knot (on the aperture ring side) is not at the very end of the string, it is fairly easy to repair by taking the lens mount off (4 screws) and making a knot further on the string.

:)
Karim

Ioana

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adam,

I am not an expert, and just for surviving a while (mine left me then in an important time) I did the following thing that worked:
After you take down the lense there are normally three little screws holding the first "whateverbiggermetalthing". I loosened them up a little bit - testing around. At a certain point the pressure put on that spring through the screws reliefs it, that the spring gets strong enough to drag that. Of course you have to test out not to release them too mutch, otherwise the lense is not fixed on the camera.
Good luck otherwise.
Ioana

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration