Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica S2 Meter Repair Info Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Konica S2 Meter Repair Info « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin McCann

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Konica S2 that is in nice shape except that the meter does not operate properly. It reacts to light but it is in serious need of help. I need to know if there is any information out there on diagnosing this type of camera meter. I have tried Wein cells thinking the volt was the problem and I also cleaned the contact in the battery holder and checked the wiring. It still does not give a true linear reaction to changes in light also the problem seems to get worse the lower the light gets. Also the mask on the film speed lever moves properly too.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should check the connections to and the setting of the variable resistor next to the lightmeter assembly which can be accessed after removing the top cover. However, this is not the first Auto-S2 I see with a broken CdS resistor - maybe this is the culprit. It is not easy to check whether it responds to light correctly, only way to check is to swap it against a working one.

Tom

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, you might want to remove the bottom cover and clean the contacts of the meter test switch. I have found that most of these are not making good contact. Not sure if it would cause your problem, usually causes total failure of meter to operate. Worth a try, it's easy to do.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin -- I had exactly this problem with an S2. Search the board and you can find the solution, but here it is briefly: Remove the bottom plate, then remove the battery box. Two screws are all that hold it.Turn it over and check the nickel-plated contacts -- both the battery-check contacts and the main meter supply contacts. I'll bet the meter contacts are corroded. Clean them 'til they are shiny. If they are corroded beyond help then I believe it was Winfried who suggested cutting out a new piece of nickel-plated metal from a tape-measure clip. Hope this helps.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have replaced the contacts several times. Any piece of nickel-plated sheet material will do whatever you get it from. Chrome-plated material will work, too, but you will have to grind the chrome off the place where you want to solder it - nickel-plating is solderable.

However, in case of a bad contact the meter won't work at all or very erratic, I don't think that a constant error is related to this problem.

henry almonte

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just purchased a m mint s2 and just put a new 1.35 battery in it and the needle is not moving can anybody help!!!

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the things you should check have been discussed previously. Check everything mentioned here. Finally, solder off the wires going to the galvanometer and check continuity. With an ohmmeter (most digital multimeters have an ohms range) you should read between 1000 and 2000 ohms, and depending on the polarity of the test leads the needle should move. If this is not the case the galvanometer has to be replaced.

shawn

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an S2 in which the meter is not operating also. The needle moves when i press the battery check button so i'm assuming its not the contacts on the battery department. I would like to remove the plastic front cover from the len to see if a wire has broken free from the meter but do not know how to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is quite straightforward. If there is a retractable lens hood push it back and unscrew the knurled ring you see. If there is no lens hood unscrew the retainer ring you find inside the filter thread. It may be rather tight so that you can't push it with a screwdriver.

However I have seen more than one S2's where the battery contacts were OK but the test switch contacts were not. To check this remove the bottom cover and dissamble the test switch.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration