Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM2n- erratic metering on automatic Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » OM2n- erratic metering on automatic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arnaldo Vargas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I just purchased a used OM2n and seem to be geting accurate manual readings and the shutter speeds seem OK on manual but as soon as I switch to AUTO the shutter seems to stay open for seconds, even though the display in the viewfinder continues to point to a 60th. Any ideas as to what might be causing this, and possible fixes.

Thanks!
Arnaldo Vargas

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have film in the camera? The AUTO speeds are controlled by light reflecting off the film: if there is no film in the camera, very little light reflects off of the black pressure plate and the shutter stays open much longer.

:)=

Arnaldo Vargas

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your advice on the film but by now I have covered all the variables that I could think of that might be causing the problem. I swiched from a lithium 3volt battery to the recomended two SR44 (Energizer 357), I tried shooting with T-Max instead of the Delta to rule our reflectance variations with any particuler film. The photos shot on Manual with the Cds meter off the ground glass have been accurate but all the AUTO shots still give me a completely over-exposed black negative as the shutter always stays open for several seconds. I guess I'll juat use this OM2n as an OM1 untill I can get the OTF meter fixed/ calibrated. I read somwhere that these cameras sometimes suffered from oil migrating to the shutter magnet. What I don't understand is why this would affect the shutter on AUTO but not on Manual. What do you think... any ideas?

Thanks Again!

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't think it's the magnet, for the reason you mention (manual speeds being ok). i'm afraid it's off to the shop for it.... i think the auto speeds are controlled by a capacitor, maybe that's gone on the fritz.

Peter Clark

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arnaldo, Does it do this on the first shot, but behaves correctly afterwards? or is it random?
Mine does the same thing, and I'm sending it for repair! Best of luck

Peter Glanvill

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a second hand Om2 Spot Program. The shutter release button has locked down and will not release. Changing the batteries or switching to manual will not release it. The mirror is not affected ie has not locked down. When I first purchased it several years ago - second hand - I had to return in once for the same problem and whatever was done to sort it it was done rapidly. Anybody got any ideas on how I could sort the problem out myself?

C Rumbo

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

re: The OM-2Spot/Program -- If the camera still won't wind and fire when set on the red speeds, chances are the wind gears are "crossed". This usually happens when the black levers just in front of the battery chamber get gummy. The problem is, these levers are part of an assembly and cannot be removed for individual cleaning. You can try flush cleaning with a solvent like naptha, being careful to orient the camera bottom up with the battery chamber lower than the rest of the camera so any overflow drains away from the mechanism, and packing tissue next to the chamber to absorb as much overflow as possible. Drizzle a little solvent at a time, working the levers and changing the tissue frequently until the levers move freely. And you'll have to remove the wind plate with the two gears attached to unjam everything. It's held in with three screws. Everything is self-contained, so reassembly shouldn't be very difficult.

Tom Hoskinson

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am having the same problem as Arnaldo. OM2n works ok on manual but on auto the shutter locks open (mirror up) just like on bulb . . . but the shutter does not close when the button is released. The only way to close the shutter, however, is to return the switch to manual. (check-reset does not close the shutter or release the mirror lock up.) Batterys are fresh and the check light illuminates. Have tried this with several lenses and no lens in case the couple was a problem.

Any ideas would be welcome. Absent repair ideas, would greatly appreciate recommendations for US repair shops specializing in this line of cameras.

Many thanks. Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration