Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Any Gossen Experts Here? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Any Gossen Experts Here? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a photo of a Gossen light meter that I repaired some time back:

Unknown Gossen Meter 70K jpg

I use this meter regularly, and it would be a big help if anyone could tell me the model. All I know is what it is not - Sixtomat, Sixtry, Sixon. It is also not a color finder of any type.

Thanks!

James

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like a Sixtomat X3 from 1954 according to the picture on the Gossen site. Start here:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_sammler.html

Choose Photography-Collectors-Chronology

Hope this helps!

James

Will

Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When did Gossen start making razors? That must be the "Micro-screen-Pro".. hehe.

j/k .. Cool meter - Gossen is NICE stuff.

Will

marco

Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackson, definitely a sixtomat 3 it is not. But neither is it a sixti, nor a sixtry, sixtino, sixon or sixtus. Pity that in 9 out of ten cases the label is missing.
Clearly yours is an early version, without a dial with EV numbers. Maybe an early Sixtomat (not a "3") similar to the one now been auctioned as item 3835495234 (see http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=8277&item=3835495234&rd=1).

Better still this one: 3837173089.

This one also looks a pretty convincing candidate: item number 3835179758 (ended).

How about the latest cry: a SIXTONRAT!! (item 3836956659).

Does your unit come equipped with a color finder?
By the way, and in keeping with this forum's raison d'etre, why don't you tell us how you brought it back to life?

Jackson

Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Marco, thanks for the good links. Looks like I was wrong, it IS a Sixtomat. But which one? I didn't know until now that there were different versions. From your links and others on eBay, I can see it's the type With the solid red nameplate. Versions with red and blue nameplates (like the "Sixtonrat") are referred to as color finders. Too bad, the Gossen site that James posted doesn't have photos of all the Sixtomat varieties, only the X3.

Oh yes, how did I repair it? It was nearly two years ago, so I'm working from long term memory on this one. I purchased the meter on eBay for a few dollars, and it was dead (surprise!). There was no meter movement at all. Inside, I discovered that the selenium cell is held in place with spring-bronze contacts. The contacts make the electrical connections to the circuit. I removed the cell, wiped the connecting points with alcohol, then wiped on a fine layer of deoxit contact cleaner. this brought the meter back to life, but only on one range. This meter has two sensitivity ranges that are automatically selected as you turn the wheel on the side. A leaf switch is activated by a cam on the wheel, and this turned out to be much more problematic. I spent an hour or so cleaning and adjusting the switch until it worked properly.

I really like this meter because of its wide EV range. Without the need for auxiliary or flip-down cells, it measures EV 4 to EV 18 (ISO 400). My Gossen C-Mate CDS meter barely exceeds this sensitivity (it measures EV 3 to EV 17), and it eats expensive mercury cells to do so.

Thanks for everyone's input on this; I'm glad to learn that it's a Sixtomat. Now, if anyone knows which version...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration