Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pin-face screw? (beginners question)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pin-face screw? (beginners question) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[email protected]

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of screw-driver do I need to unscrew film advance levers, self timer levers etc. that have two little holes on them? I read "pinface screw" somewhere and I am wondering this is what I need. Is there a special screw for this purpose or do I simply stick two pins in the holes and unscrew? What sizes do these screw-drivers come in? I have seen at least two sizes of hese screws on my cameras. Where can I get them in Europe (Sweden)? I looked at microtools but could not find anything, probably did not look in the right section. Thank you all for your help, Berk

Dave Passmore

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I use homemade stuff, ground down tips on needlenose pliers, and a set of dividers for drafting......just an suggestion......Dave

charlie

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some I can turn with a paper clip rebent so the ends are the correct distance apart, held by pliers.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are special 'screwdrivers' for this kind of screws but you need a special blade for each size.

I use small pliers designed for stop rings. They have two small pins to fit into the 'eyelets' of these rings.

Roger

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look here - page 12
http://www.provins.org.uk/

regards
Roger

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a "friction tool" first. Something made of rubber (like a rubber stopper) pressed down onto the face of the screw. Doesn't always work since sometimes the screws are too tight. But, it's the best way when you can get it to work since there is no danger of slipping and causing a scratch. :)

ian

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used all the above and they all work if you use them carefully. I have now got a set of home made screwdrivers which I find best. Find a screwdriver with enough blade width to span the holes and then grind a slot in the centre of the blade just leaving two prongs, round off the prongs as best you can and you will be OK. I have also seen tools made from short lengths of small allen keys attached to the jaws of a small adjustable wrench and these also seem to work well.

Jackson

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use circlip pliers. You can find them in auto supply houses. Good ones come with interchangeable tips in various diameters and angles. You'll find these pliers in both "spring-open" and spring-closed" varieties. Regardless of which type you buy, remove the spring so you won't scratch the polished surface of the nut when inserting or removing the pliers. The homemade screwdrivers described in other posts are also useful for this, although non-rounded tips may scar the holes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration