Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yaschia Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yaschia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eva

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to buy a Yashica , but is it true that the A, B, T, etc.. models have shutter speed problem?
A photographer told me to buy a 124G which is better.
Is it true? What shall I buy then?
Thanks for your help

Roger

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lenses on the earlier Yashica TLRs were 3 element Yashikor whilst the 124 series and some of the later 635s are 4 element Yashinon (Tessar type) and better. I would go for a 124G with its crank handle advance, meter and modern type cable release socket.

Roger

Jackson

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All older cameras, particularly those made in the '50s and '60s, are likely to have shutter speed problems. It's the result of lubricants that age and migrate onto other parts. You should plan to have a CLA, regardless of the model you purchase.

Michael Frangos

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may also consider buying the Yashica-Mat, which has very good optics and cost much less than the 124G.

Ray

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI
Yashica 635 I like the best (with Yashinon lens is the best one) as some have Yashikor lenses.
With the 635 you have best of both worlds 120 format and 35mm format.
As most old cameras they need a service to keep them working fine.
Had mine for a number of years never had a problem.
Buy one from a good dealer ask to see if and when last serviced, if it`s not been, get them to do it.
Most have problems through lack of use oiley parts get stuck and full of dust so if not in use, once a week fire the shutter a few time that should keep it working and stop it sticking shut.
Most important thing is keep in a dry place and not to hot.
Hope this helps as this is my way of keeping cameras in good working order
All the best

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration