Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro GSN Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Electro GSN « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

charlie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I recently purchased a Yashica GSN and cannot detect any continuity from a conical spring at the end of the battery compartment and the metal body. Is this spring part of the normal circuit or do I have to remove it to access the contact?

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again. I just found a page on "The Yashica Guy" website which may answer my question. He seems to say there is no electrical path from the spring to the body which will show continuity. Maybe semiconductors block the ciruits? Anyway, I will remove the battery check switch per his suggestion and recheck. Thanks

Jackson

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The body is isolated from the battery. If you look closely, you will see that the threads of the battery cap mate with threads in the camera that are not part of the body. You should measure resistance between the threads and battery holder tab when the battery check switch is closed (assuming the switch, bulb and wiring are good). Honestly though, this is really a waste of time. I suggest that you throw in a PX-28A or equivalent 6V battery (you can wad up some alum foil to take up the slack) and check the camera properly. There are a number of functions, such as shutter speed, that can't be tested without powering the circuitry.

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jackson-The check bulb does not light with a 6 volt battery in place. I removed the check light plate per the Yashica Guy's instructions and got a very high resistance between the conical/coil spring in the end of the battery compartmentand the solder tab under the check light plate. (Is this what you mean by battery holder tab?) The shutter is very quiet and test firings sound about the same to me. Maybe tomorrow I will try a test roll of film to see what's happening. Thanks for the info.

Jon Flanders

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can see if the shutter is working properly by pointing the camera a dim corner of the room and tripping the shutter at each f stop setting successively.

If the shutter opens for a long time at f16 and fires quickly at 1.7, then the electronics are working correctly. In between there should be a gradual increase of the shutter speed at each stop.

Jon Flanders

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration