Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM10 exposure counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus OM10 exposure counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phillip Evans

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have recently aquired an Olympus OM10 that seems to work fine (havent had any films developed yet) except that the exposure counter doesnt work.

Is it simple to fix this? i've never done any repair work on a camera before, but i'm willing to give it a bash.

Kind Regards

Phillip Evans

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Phillip.
Normally the exposure counter isn't famous for problems in this model. To see it, you'll need to remove the top cover. That can require a little explanation, but first please make sure your film door is closing correctly and pressing inward enough to activate the counter mechanism. If you look at the film door, you'll notice there are "lip" edges on the top and bottom which fit into slots in the camera body, forming a barrier to light. In the upper slot, you'll see a pin or lever (small piece of metal) about an inch and a half in from the hinge end side. This should be pressed in when the film door is closed and out when the door is open. In the out position, it disables/resets the counter wheel. If it does not push in far enough, the counter will not engage. From time to time, I see this occur when somebody re-seals their camera using inferior materials which do not allow the door to properly close. You might look in the slot to see if it looks like it has had new seal material put into it. If so, we'll need to remove that and start over, but let's see if that is the problem first.

Jon

Phillip Evans

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just finished the film that was in the camera (I now have lots of pictures of my girlfriends dog!) So i had a little play with that switch that you mentioned, and then closed the door, and the counter seems to work fine now, i'm going to grab another film tomorrow and give that a try to make sure it works.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good. You know...before I ran anymore film through the camera, I'd check the light seals. If they're bad, you may need to replace them. If you do, I can send you just what you need to make the camera like new in that department for as little as $6 (USA) or $6.80 (anywhere else in the world except Canada--$6.60). Also, I have specific instructions for the OM-10...except for the data back. Still working on that one, but I'll gladly send the standard back instructions via e:mail. To see, please go to E-Bay, search using the "Items by Seller" option, and type in my ID...Interslice. You'll even see an example of the OM-10 mirror damper being replaced right on the auction page. It is a very nice camera and probably should be cleaned up and set right again.

Jon

Phillip Evans

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks jon. I've had a look and the seals seem ok.

I've just popped another film into the camera again, and the counter has stopped working. Works perfectly when no film is in it. Any ideas?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration