Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ftb viewfinder cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon ftb viewfinder cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to clean the inside of my FTB fresnel(?) prism viewfinder to clean black dirt/gum, how do get inside that part without taking the whole top off? I did take the top off my first FTB once before and ruined the shutter speed/ISO setting...it just sprung out of whack and I could never reset it. My second one I'm afraid to open, unless someone has a repair manual scan to do that?

Ed

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

make sure that what you're seeing isn't just on the bottom of the screen--when you say gum, that is usually from the shock pad and would be on the bottom. You can access that, of course, without removing the top. You can use isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) to clean, using Qtips. It make take several applications--use sparingly--don't flood it and rub gently. If you don't know how to remove the top--I would say it would have to be pretty dirty to justify doing so.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,

Ther is a trick to the FTb top removal. Set the shutter to 'B' and the ASA dial to 3200, before taking the top off. That way there will be minimal tension on the linkage and you will be able to put it back together without problems.

When re-asembling make sure that the settings have not changed - 'B' and 3200 ASA.

Good luck,

Jan

Brian

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interestingly, I have had two different replies to the top removal. One is 3200 ASA at shutter "B", the other is ASA 25, with shutter at 1/1000. The FTB film speed setting only goes to 1600, so the first diagnosis is a bit confusing! I thought I should write just in case someone is using this info as well...Any one able to help me further or confirm these suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration