Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GSN - no power? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica GSN - no power? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kristie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I just got a Yashica GSN, and tested the circuitry between the battery spring and the solder tab underneath the battery check switch as per yashica guy's instructions, and get a good circuit. I put a new battery in, and still don't get a working check light or meter. The only problem I can see is that the contact ring on the battery screw cap is missing. The pieces on the cap that make contact with the metal ring wired to the camera have been broken off. I wrapped one end of a piece of aluminum foil around the ring, and then placed the other end of the foil between the battery and the screw cap to see if a connection would be made, but still nothing. Any suggestions?

Jon Flanders

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I generally use a AA flashlight battery spring and some cardboard cut in small strips to go between the battery and the cap.

It seems to work fine.

Try that. There are a lot of wires in the GSN. Does the shutter respond with variable speeds with your battery in? The battery check light could be bad.

kristie

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neither the meter or the check light are working. I put a spring between the battery and the cap, as well as some cardboard to hold the battery in place, but i don't think the spring is making contact with anything, because the metal ring on the cap is gone. Only the four places where it attached to the central contact are there. Am i right in thinking that unless i find a way for the positive end of battery to come in contact with the metal ring under the base plate, then i won't have a working meter?

Jon Flanders

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think so. Make sure all corrosion is cleaned up. Sounds like you need to get another camera for parts, generally a good idea with these classics.

Jon Flanders

Jon Flanders

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add that I put a ring of cardboard around the spring to center it. Even on a good cap, if the spring isn't centered, the electronics won't connect.

Foam backed tape works well to center the battery.

kristie

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried it again, this time i put the battery in, then the spring, then wedged a piece of aluminum foilin so that it held the spring and battery in and was touching the metal ring under the base plate. I hooked the voltmeter to the metal ring and to the solder tab under the battery check switch, and it read 6 volts, so it seems like the circuit is complete and it's getting power, but still no change in shutter speed. oh well, just got another one off of ebay for $10, so hopefully between the two i can put together one that works! thanks for your help.

Jon Flanders

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful. Yashica's are addictive. Kind of like potato chips, you can't have just one. I now have about four Electro's, a MG 1, three Lynx's(one that works) and I just got a GT with a stuck shutter that I am trying to unstick. Eventually I will have to sell a couple on EBay. They do take great pictures.
Here's a sample http://snow.prohosting.com/~jeflan/calais_04/Calais_2004.html

I've had a lot of fun with them. Good luck.

kristie

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm already addicted, and I haven't even gotten the camera to work, much less taken my first photo! Can't wait to see the results once i get one working. Here are some photos I've taken, most with my Nikon FE2-
http://www.kristiecornell.com

Jon Flanders

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very impressive pictures. I lived in N. Mexico for a couple of years, its a different world from the northeast.

I have an OM-1 that I bought new in the 70's, but at the moment have been seduced by rangefinder photograpy. For one thing, the GSN shutter is so amazingly quiet. People don't even notice that you took a picture. Helps in getting that "decisive moment."

One other thing, don't be afraid to take the top off the Electro and clean the viewfinder glass. Just watch out for the wire from the flash, it's easy to pull off. Windex and a q tip work fine. You have to use a knife to remove the "roof" of the rangefinder, and then use a non-super glue to tack it back on.

kristie

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for the tips. I can't wait to get the second Electro and see if i can get a nice working rangefinder to play around with! Will let you know what happens..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration