Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exacta RTL1000 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Exacta RTL1000 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Symptoms: shutter fires normally but mirror stays up. Mirror can be lowered by removing lens and pushing in the small button at the bottom of the lens mount. This button comes out when the shutter fires but does not retract. This seems to be the pin that stops down the lens. Is this pin supposed to be pressed back in by the lens pin? I don't see how this could be since it would preclude the use of preset lenses.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Duell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the lens is not supposed to press that pin and reset the mirror linkage. The RTL1000 will work correctly without a lens. I would think you've got a sticking (gummed up lubricant) linkage on the side of the mirror box (or maybe in the shutter area, but that's less likely).

The RTL1000 is very similar to an L-series Praktica, apart from the lens mount, self timer and the lack of an internal meter. There are instructions on the web somewhere for dismantling something like the MTL3, which should be fairly close to how to take apart your camera.

The rough sequence (as far as I remember it, and I've not seen the offiical manual) is :

Take off the bottom plate (4 screws, don't lose the rewind button)

Unscrew the rewind knob, screws on that side, take off the left half of the top plate (don't attempt to remove the film reminder dials)

Remove the glued-on scale from the shutter speed knob, then the central screw, then take off the knob.

Remove the reminder dial from the winding crank (glued in), the tiny E-circlip and washers under it, then unscrew the brass cup. Take off the winding crank

Screws on that side, then take off the right half of the top plate.

You now have to dismantle the frame counter. Remove the tiny tension spring, and free the ratchet pawl. Swing out the advance pawl (against spring tension), free the advance linkage from the mechanism, take it off.

Remove the central screw and cursor from the frame counter dial. Take off the dial and return hairspring together (I find it best to grab the thing from the back with tweezers and free the end of the spring from the post, then lift it all off).

Wind the shutter (this is one of the few cameras it's easier to dismantle and reassemble when cocked). Take out the 3 screws holding the mechanism plate at the right top (with the shutter speed mechanism on it), remove this plate.

Peel off the leatherette from the front. Undo the 4 screws at the corners of the front casting. Pull this out (complete with mirror box). You can now see how it works.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration