Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Top cap removal of a Kodak Retina IIa... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Top cap removal of a Kodak Retina IIa type 150 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

I have a really excellent Kodak Retina IIa - Type 150 - of 1939. But as usual the finder must be cleaned. I have tried to get the top off cap but invain. I have unscrewed all these small metal sheets at the sides and on top of the top cap. That gives acces to some parts but not enough for a finder cleaning. I have also unscrewed the advance and the rewind knob. Now I can not find any more screws but the top cap is still fixed at it's location. Is there anybody who could give me a hint how to get this cap off?

BTW: the back side of these metal sheets was covered with dried out grease. Could it be possible that they have been greased at the factory to prevent corrosion?

Mark Pearce

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the rewind knob, advance assembly, and all screws out the top plate should lift right off.
A website I have found usefull for Retina repair data:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/index.html

Good Luck
Mark

Reiner

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken the rewind knob, advance assembly, and all screws out but the top plate does not lift right off. It does even not move a micrometer.

The IIa type 150 I mean is not identical to the much more common post war IIa type 016. The 150 is a rare camera and a bit different than the later models.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The IIa type 150 I mean is not identical to the much more common post war IIa type 016. The 150 is a rare camera and a bit different than the later models".

Yeah, I know that.
It's been about 30 years since I worked on one of these (girlfriend dropped it and knocked the RF out of alignment), but I don't recall and trouble getting the top plate off.
Does the eyepeice screw into the RF through the top plate maybe? As I stated, it's been a while.
Mark

Reiner

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The key for the mystery were the belt screws. The 150 has two big belt screws at the side unlike all other Retina models. I did not remove these at first because I assumed that they are just tied to the top cap. When I removed them they unveiled two tiny screws which hold the cap. That was it!

All finder glass is now cristal clear again but I still have to adjust the rangefinder.

Jack Freymuller

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know the significance of the letter "K"
at the end of a Type 150 serial number? "Kalt?". This camera was also modified to accept a mechanical
synchronizer which screws into the shutter next to the cocking lever.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration