Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Signet 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kodak Signet 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob Holz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm Rob. I have a Kodak Signet 35 camera which I've kept for the past 25 years. I recently took it in to a shop to get the shutter mechanism cleaned as the shutters were sticking. It worked well for 1 1/2 films. Now the shutters won't even close. I'm going to have to take the shutters out altogether. I would like to know if anyone has the documentation for me to do the repair work myself.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob: I think I have something at home, it's not on this computer; email me later.

The Signet 35 shutter is not very powerful and it's very sensitive to cleanliness. I don't think you need to "take them out altogether", just open up the front and clean the mechanism with lighter fluid. The shutter is easy to open: unscrew the front element and you should be able to remove the front panel from the shutter for access.

rick : )=

Curt Saxton

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob, (and Rick)
Try www.daniel.mitchell
I think you'll find plenty of valuable info on Dan's excellent site. Keep up the good work Dan. Hope this helps. Curt In Canada.

David

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several variations of the shutter over the camera's lifetime. Kodak knew of some of the problems with the shutter and attempted to fix them by changing a few parts. I have the Kodak repair manual. I could xerox the relevant pages.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like David said, there were some parts that caused problems on early versions. Another thing the service manual describes is conversion to X sync. You take out the pallet and star wheel at the top of the shutter and bend the flash contact slightly. That flash escapement can cause problems. So, unless you plan on using old M flash bulbs, you might as well remove it and see if that is what is causing the problem.

Rob Holz

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David didn't add his e-mail address to the posting. Yes, I can really use the pages. I'd like to get started asap, but without any reference material, I'm not even going to try. I don't have any camera experience. Car, motorcycle, small engines, yeah, but cameras...

David, could you please send me the pages? Thank you so much.

Rob

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have scanned and uploaded the service manual and parts diagrams for this shutter. Note that these are 150dpi scans and were scanned from an old photocopy. They look OK on the computer.
If you need them:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/signet35/downloads.html

Rob Holz

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Dan, Thanks a Million.

I finished it up today. My first try in camera repair, and the patient lives to fight another day. Thank you so much for the help.

Rob

Rob Holz

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a follow up on this dinosaur. I shot off a couple of rolls of film. I got the focus adjusted dead on, and the shutter works mint. I got some great shots off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration