Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM shutter+flash Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon FM shutter+flash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sjors

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with my Nikon FM. The lower part of the shutter is too slow, so you get only half of the picture if you photograph with a shutterspeed faster than 1/2 sec. Apart from that the flash is not exposed. I think that these two things are related to eachother. Possibly the shutter is not streched enough. Does anyone know this problem? Or is it something different? Is it easy to repair? I have no experience in repairing cameras but I'd like to learn it.

Ed

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like maybe the shutter blades are gummy such that they don't travel properly. Solution would be cleaning. You might be able to look and see if there are any spots that look like they wet spots.

Sjors

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your reply, but I am quite sure that this is not the problem. There are no spots on the shutter blades. I think that there is not enough tension on the shutter and the flash. I tested it today again and the first ten exposures the shutter did not even open! What can I do?

Karim

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sjors,

Maybe the gummy goo got into the shutter rails, affecting only the bottom/side part of the blades (difficult to see at first)...

If not, this may need getting at the shutter assembly to check springs and other mechanisms.
This is not the easiest repair, you have to tear the camera to parts as the shutter is the last part out (taking off the top cover, the lens mount, the mirror cage,...)

FM shutters are said to be quite reliable, though...

HTH,
Karim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration