Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Focus button - Rolleicord Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Focus button - Rolleicord « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

edmundo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all.
How do you take off the focus button of a Rolleicord ? The button is turning free, but the lens do not move; actuating the focus on the other side of the camera, it moves OK, so the problem must be the focus button that is not engaging something, but I cannot take off this button! There is some trick ? Thanks.

edmundo

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere I read Rolleis are similar to Yashicamats. Under repair manuals on this website there is a Yashicamat manual that seems to show a screw through the center of the focus knob. You may have to peel off a leather disc to get at the screw.
Good luck.

edmundo

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Charlie, but this baby is different: on the focus button, there´s no leather, only an aluminun disk with 2 holes, I tried with a plier-spanner, no results. Thanks anyway.

edmundo

Ed

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pin spanner should work--naybe dribble a little lighter fluid, etc, around edge to loosen and crud first

Mark Pearce

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed is correct; a pin spanner will turn out the cover disk.
Once inside, there is a collet that you can tighten with a spanner or a pair of pliers to secure the knob on the shaft.

edmundo

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed and Mark, thank you both. I tried a pin spanner, no results;this thing seems to be definitively locked, no amount of solvent, oil, heat, cold , can unlock it. But Mark, if this is only a cover disk, then I can drill or turn it away, tighten the collet and turn a new disk... the original is pretty damaged anyway... Well, this finishes mechanical faults, I think; now, just assembling the shutter blades,cleaning the lenses (haze), finding a new mirror (maybe a Polaroid one.. and readjusting the focus of the viewing lens...), painting and leathering... I will finish it someday. Again, thank you for the hints.

edmundo

BTW, the camera is a Rolleicord III with a Triotar.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A mirror from a Polaroid OneStep works nicely.
I loved my Rolleicord III, as it was mt first good rollfilm camera. It had a great Xenar.

edmundo

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mark, I have a Polaroid somewhere ... I checked again the serial number of the body after cleaning it, seems that is not a III, but a Rolleicord 2 model 6 (Prochnow) or 2 type 5 (Evans). Anyway, good camera, god for repair learning too. Thanks again. This is the best forum i participate, people really helps !

edmundo

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The twin-pin cover on the focusing knobs of 60 year old Rolleis (I just had the identical problem with a 1939 Rolleiflex) require special attention. First clean out all the years of accummulated gunk at the edge. Then a few drops of acetone into that joint an leave overnight.
On a quality camera such as this, the pointed pliers method of unscrewing the cap, is a No No.
You may have to precision drill (slightly enlarge the pinholes to produce a perfect pair of hole) - and then make up a special tool which also fits perfectly. Broken drill-bit shanks of the right diameter can be sweated into a steel bar. This makes a high integrity tool. But even this may tear away the aluminium cap unless you first "break the stick". Acetone usually works but if it doesn't - then heat most certainly will.
No pencil-point butane until well after the acetone had evaporated tho'.

Good luck

Stuart Willis

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration