Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

QL19 Meter removal/replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » QL19 Meter removal/replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have a QL19 with a bad meter. Looking at the camera and exploded service diagram (QL17), it looks as if the lens/mount needs to be removed. Is this correct?

Having never done this before, I worry about the complexity of the repair. So far I haven't had a camera beat me, but I've heard many a story about these, and how difficult they are to work on.

I wonder if I should just relegate this camera to manual duty. It works fine other than the dead meter and Auto operation.

Thanks,
Will

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are absolutely sure that the galvanometer is bad (i.e. shows no continuity - it should show a resistance between 1000 and 2000 ohms, and depending on the polarity of the instrument used the needle should move during measurement), you can replace it. Removing the front assembly of the Canonet is not a very big job. Remove the cover plates, and loosen the four screws on the corners of the recessed lens plate. One is partially hidden by the cocking slider, move the advance crank half way. Now lift the whole assembly, there are just some wires connecting it to the main body.

To remove the galvanometer loosen the small screw on the left side (seen from the front) of the galvanometer housing. Maybe there are a few parts more to remove from the needle trap mechanism, I have done this operation once only. Probably the needle trap mechanism will need some readjustment after reassembly.

However, this is not a beginners job.

Will

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for your help. Your tips were excellent. The galvanometer was indeed bad and I have since replaced it with a good working unit. I have everything back together except for the top and front leatherette as I have another issue with the camera I need to clarify yet. (another post :-) )

Here is a small photo journal I put together for anyone else considering doing this. It wasn't terribly difficult but not an easy job either. I guess you could say it was very time consuming! If anyone wants the hi-res pictures, email me and I'd be glad to send them.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=969694

Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration