Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Reflex 3 light meter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina Reflex 3 light meter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I purchased a broken reflex 3 as a project camera. I got the shutter un-stuck, but in the process I broke the cord that runs from the f-stop to the light meter. I hoped some of you could offer some insight into this repair, I'd obviously like to keep the camera as much in one piece as possible. I fI have to replace the cord, and not re-attach it, can anyone recommend a type of cord to use, and if I have to re-attach it how do I get to the spool on the bottom of the camera.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave.
Unfortunately, this isn't so easy. To reach the bottom spool, you have to remove the bottom plate which means removing the leather piece. There also will be a spring or two under there that will pop out at you. Fishing line is good to use...not the nylon stuff, but the monofilament used for bait casting. I think it is 18.25 inches long, but you probably should check me on that.

Dave

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice, but it seems like it is a bit harder than you suggest. When you take the bottom off, it still seems like you can't get to the spool. There is a little slot between the bottom of the camera and the shutter housing through which you can see the spool, but it seems too small to work through. Can I thread the string on through this slot? If not, it seems that I will have to take the shutter assembly off of the camera, which I have heard is hard/impossible to get back in place. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave. That is the little area you have to thread the cord through. It isn't easy, but it can be done. You need a quiet time to do it and good light. I would start here rather than end here and take the string up to the meter. You don't want to remove the shutter...it is not easy to re-install without the right tools or real luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration