Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 - Where Does This Foa... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Lynx 14 - Where Does This Foam Go? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another camera I'm trying to get up and running is a Lynx 14 that I acquired some time back. I originally posted info and photos on the work here: LYNX 14

During a subsequent discussion with another forum contributor, it occurred to me that a dim rangefinder could result if the beamsplitter were installed backwards. I had a test in mind to determine if that might be the problem, but before I could check, I acquired another Lynx 14 for parts. I have now swapped the rangefinder from the donor and it seems to be working fine.

Not content to have a nearly working camera, I decided to remove the lens from the body to see what I could do about the inoperative meter switch. To my surprise, the switch in the Lynx 14 is riveted to the lens mount plate (it's screwed on in the Lynx 5000e). I have now swapped in the entire plate from the donor, so the switch problem is resolved.

Of course, with all this done, I couldn't resist cleaning the rear surfaces of the aperture and shutter blades. When I removed the rear element, however, a crumbling foam ring fell out of the back of the lens assembly.

Here's a photo showing the present state of the camera

Here's a photo showing the rear lens element next to a few pieces of the crumbled foam

Finally, here's a closeup of the rear element that shows what I need HELP with...

Does anyone know where the foam should go, and what its purpose is? It was apparently just a slip fit, as there's no adhesive residue on the lens holder. I know it's some sort of light seal, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why this foam is needed.

Jon Flanders

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There should be somebody here that knows for sure, but I would try making a judgement based on the radius of the foam fragments.

Possibly some black weatherstripping cut to size could replace the ring?

Looking at the picture, and drawing on my experience as a railroad machinist, I would guess that the ring goes on the larger circumference closest to the film plane in order to stop light leaks. You have more room there for an o-ring too given the slanted shoulder.

Jon Flanders

Tom

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the foam was originally about 2mm wide and just was glued around lens where it screws into the ring. Then, it should be up against the ring as a light baffle. I always use the foamies that you get in a craft store, and they work fine there. You should be able to see glue traces where the original ring was mounted

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration