Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro M5 shutter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Electro M5 shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to all. I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I just received an Yashica Electro M5 through EBay and it has a few problems. The main one is that as I wind the film the shutter opens and stays open until the shutter button is pressed. I have put a battery in it and the exposure system is trying to work, with vary lengths between clicks depending on the light level. This model is a bit of an oddball and has a citizen shutter, no over and under lights and from what I've read no "pad of death". If I can fix this shutter problem it should work quite well. See the "Yashica Guy" website for a detailed description of this model.

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Follow up. The Yashica Electro M5 is now working fine. While fiddling with it I accidentally let the wind on lever spring back rather hard and the jerk seeems to have freed up whatever was causing the problem. I replaced the seals and ran a film through it and the exposures etc were spot on. The citizen shutter is very strange on this model as it has 2 sets of blades one set behind the other. and the apertures are simply 3 different sized holes drilled into a moving disk.

Jackson

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...the apertures are simply 3 different sized holes drilled into a moving disk."

What effect does this have on bokeh? Seems it might be a good thing. I've always thought cameras with more aperture blades (more nearly approximating a circle) perform better in this area.

Howard

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jackson. To the best of my knowledge bokeh is more aligned to the design and spherical aberration of the lens itself rather that the effect of the number of aperture blades. from what I've read, once you have a iris with seven or more blades the difference is virtually unnoticeable. Especially when you think that with "Good" bokeh, the circles of confusion have a bright centre and very fuzzy edges, then that would make sense. The test roll that I took didn't include any shots that really show up the bokeh one way or the other, but next roll I put through I'll take some shots to test it. As you suggest, it can't be bad for the aperture to be a perfect cirle!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration