Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 SP Shutter Blades don't op... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35 SP Shutter Blades don't open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andreas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
okay: I've read some (allmost all) threads upon shutter problems in this forum... but sorry, I am a newby in camera-repairs - so I am a bit unsure, if I understood everything well.

My Problem: The shutter blades of my used (new bought) Olympus 35 SP don't open anymore... although the shutter fires at all speeds (at least it sounds like this). The blades opened at my first tries but only for three days!

I think it is probably a "greasy-shutter-problem", but I am very unsure...

So - if someone has a hint of what the probleme could be... (!?) i would appreciate it very much to get the hint.

Thank you in advance - and sorry for my "bumpy" english ;-)

Andreas

Winfried

Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although we probably better would talk in German, I think it's the classical gummed shutter blades syndrome.

This is not too difficult to fix on the 35SP once you got the name plate ring off. On most items it seems to be glued in place, just take a needle or so and try to lift it by gripping under the small notch.

Andreas

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried,

thank you for your quick advice (and yes: I think we could talk - or write in german...).

I came this far: I could open the name plate - actually without help of a needle (or something else)... I just screwed it off (with a little selfmade tool).

But now...
There is something like a "lens-element" and I miss the special-tool to screw it off (i couldn't make it myself), so I think I can't get to the shutterblades.

Is there maybe another way to get to the shutterblades?

Thank you again, Andreas

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To unscrew lens elements (or rather lens cell - several lens elements mounted together in a metal tube) you always need a special tool called spanner wrench. These are quite expensive.

The only other option you have is to remove the rear lens cell but this usually is even more difficult.

But in many cases you can help yourself with something cheaper than a spanner wrench. I quite often remove retainer rings, lens cells etc with the short blades of a cheap caliper gauge (Schieblehre). Sometimes you have to grind or to file the short blades to proper shape.

Henry describes some other options for self-made tools in his article about 'Canonet blade cleaning'.

Andreas

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried,

thank you very much for your help!!!
I think I will try my very best with the help of a "Schieblehre" - nice idea...

Gruß aus Hamburg, Andreas

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I thought that the new German grammar did away with the 'ß'.......

Actually, a wide spatula can be ground or filed to the proper size as well. Will be probably cheaper than a 'Schieblehre'.

Jan

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the new german orthography did not totally ban the 'ß'. But it does not appear in the word 'daß' anymore. However, it seems that after almost 40 years writing in accordance with the old rules it will take some time until I have learned the new ones.

Andreas

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jan... a spatula - nice idea too...

German grammar??? The "simple" explanation:
After a short vowel you write a "double-s" (like in "dass").
After a long vowel you write the good-old "ß" (like in "Gruß")

;-) Greetings, Andreas

Bobby Haryanto

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi guys sory to jump in, i'm new to this forum and i've been desperately trying to solve the same problem. i've manage to disassemble from the front by removing the front lenses and then the shutter mechanism but i can't reach the shutter blades, it seems that i have to reach from the back, but, i don't know if i've miss something. to reach the mechaism from the back i have to remove the focusing ring (the metal one), but, i don't know how to remove it, anybody know how to do it?

would it be help if i send you the disassembled photos of the mechanism? and where to send it?

thank you in advance

regards
bobby

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration