Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Very off-topic: Why I like the classics. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Very off-topic: Why I like the classics. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Pearce

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start rant:
I just spent a bad hour and a half taking down my wife's Video camera, and after all that disassembly and de-soldering the end result was a tiny sheared rivet connecting three sliding parts in the transport/drive interlock=one dead VHS-C camera.
Things like that just don't happen to Contax shutters, Fed RFs, Pentax mirror linkages, ect.
Rant over

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I like about them is, if i see a shot i can just take it: don't have to first turn the camera ON, then wait for it to 'boot up', then select the 'mode'........

saw an ad on eBay for a nice Aires rangefinder camera... seller said he couldn't guarantee it because he hadn't "powered it up". maybe his right thumb needed recharging.....

: )=

Mark Pearce

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Aires too! I have a pair of Viscounts, a f1.9 and a f2.8.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm finishing up work on my second Aires III-L. Bought for $7.50! Very nice cameras, although I prefer my Oly 35 S-II.

The late '50s and early '60s cameras are often overlooked in favor of the auto-exposure cameras from the late '60s and '70s. I'll take an all manual, mechanical camera over an auto-everything plastic computer with lens any day.

yves

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are Aires cameras ? and Viscount ?
do they have an other name ?
thank you

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aires made some nice rangefinder and TLR cameras in Japan in the 1950s... I think the Aires-Flex occasionally appeared with Zuiko lenses, but maybe I'm misremembering. My personal favorite was the 35-IIIC rangefinder which was styled to look like a Leica M3 but had a noninterchangeable f/1.9 lens in a leaf shutter. They also made one model (still leaf shuttered) with interchangeable lenses (including an f/1.5 normal), and there was a 35mm SLR (yes, still a leaf shutter) before they finally tanked.

Jackson

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is similar to the reason I have now entirely abandoned solid-state audio amplifiers and preamps in favor of home-constructed vacuum tube equipment. The equipment in my systemn now is more easily serviced (although the need is exceedingly rare), more easily modified to taste, and outperforms nearly everything in the stores, all at a fraction of the price of commercial solid-state gear. It all just proves that progress isn't always accurately defined in the way marketers and manufacturers portray, even if their efforts cause most people to bite.

charlie

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've noticed that digital car radios tuning seems to drift over the course of a few years, reducing the range and clarity and short of removing the radio, nothing can be done to correct this. With the older analog tuning you could always turn the tuning knob a bit one way or the other to zero in on the transmitter and then reset the push button.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a different mindset that is very prevalent these days. People want to get photos without putting out any effort. They don't want to learn anything. And they don't seem too interested in quality of the photos either.

I suppose this is why cheapie P&S digitals are so popular.

Oh well, their loss. I'll take their old cameras.

Henry

Jim

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick-
Have an Aires Penta35 SLR sitting in front of me. Mirror operates shutter does not. Do I assume this is fixable or am I faced with a Retina reflex type? Have not seen any info on getting inside one of these. Any ideas?

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim:

I'm afraid I've never worked on an Aires SLR. There seems to be a fair amount of variety in the construction of leaf shutter SLRs: Kowas can be opened from the front, Retinas seem to want to be opened from the top, Contaflexes would rather not be opened : )=

I'm sure it's fixable, but I'm afraid you'll have to blaze your own trail.

: )=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration