Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

QL17 GIII Lens swap? Back door swap? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » QL17 GIII Lens swap? Back door swap? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen faust

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am fixing up a QL17 GIII that I recently acquired. I want to clean the film back and replace the seals. Is it easy to remove the back completely in order to do this. I also have another camera with the film back in better condition. If I can swap the doors and replace the seals at the same time, it would be a much nicer camera.

Ideally, I'd love to swap the lenses between the two cameras. Is that also possible without getting deeply involved?
I'm very mechanically inclined, but dealing with lots of small parts, especially if they are prone to spring our or fall off before I get a bearing on where they are located is dangerous for me But if a lens swap is somewhat straight forward, I'm game to try removing the lens on the parts camera first to assess if I want to continue on my good one.

For background, I've already removed the top and bottom case, cleaned the viewfinder, and have adjusted the viewfinder.

Any instructions somewhere on how to swap the back and lens, and what tools might be needed?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen.
I can help you with the seals, etc. For $6, I can send you a kit that will re-seal your camera nicely, and I can even e:mail you a specific set of instructions for it. As for removing the film door, as I recall you have to lift up the leatherette to reveal the hinge screws. However, it is easy to remove the film pressure plate to make the cleanup/installation of new seals easier, and I cover this in the instructions. To see the kit, you could go to E-Bay and search using the "Items by seller" option. Enter my ID..Interslice...and there you go. You don't want to use material that is too thick on this camera.

As far as swapping lenses...you might be able to swap lens elements, but swapping the actual lens itself might be challenging. Good luck.

Best regards,
Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Jon; you can get the lens itself out by unscrewing the front and rear cells. If you want to change shutter and all, there's a fair amount of linkage and stuff to mess with. Probably the easiest way would be to swap out the entire front panel with the shutter attached to it. Once you see how much junk you have to unfasten, though, you might decide it's not worth it.

:)=

Winfried

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that in most cases it is easier to swap the entire front assembly than to swap front and rear lens cells. However, in both cases you should check and readjust the focus.

Checking the focus is described in the repair article section, in an article about repair tools.

Readjusting: remove top and bottom cover. There are two tiny set screws in the brass extension of the focus ring, plus one safety screw with a cylindric head (visible from the bottom). Loosen all these screws and turn the focus ring - if you would have to turn it further turn it backwards, if you reach inf focus before the stop turn it against the stop.

I am not sure about the Canonet but on most cameras you can easily unscrew the rear door hinge after lifting the leatherette on the body close to the hinge.

Ken

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Changing back cover on QL17 is easy to do..#1 open back door of camera..see where the silver film cover part attaches to door, take a small pair of needle nose pliers and slightly bend open this attachment bracket on one side close to the retainer pin just enough to let the pin come out, now it is loose.... #2 remove bottom plate of camera, take a small paper clip and push the hinge pin down from the top of the camera, when a small amout is sticking down, grasp with needle nose pliers and pull out from bottom of camera...now door is completely off...Just re-install in reverse order...I have removed several doors in this manner...there may be a simplier way but I have not found it.

steve

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info.

The reason I want to swap the lens is not the lens elements, but the outer rings, etc. I have a black GIII with somewhat jadded past. I have a near mint chrome GIII in perfect working order, CLA, new seals, etc. I can easily swap the top and bottom plates, winder knobes, rear door, etc, but the lens is a problem. The black GIII has a real nice black and bronze lens, while the chrome GIII has a standard chrome lens. If I can managed to swap the black and chrome lens, I'd have a very nice black GIII in near mint condition.

The black GIII has one problem that makes it hard to repair. On one side the frame is broken where the top plate is screwed in. It is non functional other than to allow a screw to be used to hold the top cover on. But, to make it perfect again, would require swapping out the entire frame! I figured a lens swap to a known working, good frame GIII would be easier. I could be tempted to just igore the frame issue, as it really isn't required. Even with the screw missing and the frame piece not repaired, its hard to tell the top is not fastened there. So I might just be making things complicated for myself. But then again, a near mint GIII would be a nice addition to my collection.

I'm going to pull the door tonight, and maybe do the seals this week as the same time. I'll think more on the lens issue for the time being.

Any other ideas??

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I think Rick already said this, but the best way is going to be to swap the front panel with the lens/shutter mounted to it. But it won't be a piece of cake. In fact, I think I'd be inclined to leave it alone and try to repair the case. The less invasive you get, the better...I think.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration