Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak stereo w/ flash 200 shutter (al... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kodak stereo w/ flash 200 shutter (also found in the Pony) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rich B

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, having a annoying (intermittent) problem with a Kodak stereo shutter. Sometimes the retard sector “gear” will not travel all the way to the 1/25 position on the speed control ring. As part of the CLA I’ve removed and cleaned (naptha) the pallet, star wheel, and sector gear, and run it dry, cleaned it again and added a small drop of Mobius watch oil to the star wheel and pallet shafts, same problem. I’ve checked for interference with other parts, examined the parts under a 10x magnifier - can’t find any burrs, all the springs are in their proper locations. What am I not seeing that causes this “simple” shutter to do this. I’ve done CLA’s on Compur’s (Retina IIF’s) with never a problem. Thanks, Rich

Ed

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any chance there is problem with any of the gear teeth?

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly something is bent. Lay the sector gear against something flat to check it and see if the pin that controls the position is straight as well.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something else I just remembered - be sure to clean the hole in the pallet, star wheel and sector gear. Sometimes you get dried lube or oxidation inside and will not flush out. I use a toothpick to do this.

Rich B

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed - thanks, I checked the gear teeth, all ok there. To be on the safe side, I took a wooden “Q tip” and broke it in half, using the resulting sharp end to clean the gear teeth. Then a flush with naptha.
Dan - I checked the sector geer as suggested, all ok. I never thought to clean the holes in the pallet, star wheel and sector gear! I'll be adding that to the shutter cleaning check list. The shutter is working fine now.

Thank you both for taking the time to post your suggestions.
Rich

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration