Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

GIII rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » GIII rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to repair a Canonet GIII in which the rangefinder spot is nearly invisible because someone cleaned the semi-silvered mirror. The source of parts is not a problem, because I have a couple of donor cameras (= failed repair projects). Question #1: Shall I try to replace the mirror, or rather the entire viewfinder block? Question #2: in either case, how to proceed? The mirror shows no inclination to leave its position. As regards the entire block, there are a certain number of obvious screw but also what looks like an hook or a brace on the left back corner (seen from behind) which puzzles me. Many thanks

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks to me like the whole block should come off, if you have one to replace it with. The hook thing by the eyepiece looks kind of like the end of a spring to me in the photos i've got to look at.

: )=

Ezio

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank Rick and yes and yes. I mean, after a lot of looking and pondering it was clear that I had to remove the whole block, and I have already proceeded to remove the good block from the donor camera. It was a relatively straightforward process and, as you guessed, the "hook" is the end of a spring. Now I have to remove the bad block from the good camera, and reinstall the good one. This may be a little but more delicate, toughh. In order to reach the screws and remove the block from the donor camera I had to twist/force a couple of things, and of course I would not want to do the same on the goood camera. Will report.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good luck!

i just put a photo of this area of the camera onto my canonet tech notes page, pointing out the adjustment points; although i'm sure everything on it will already be well known to you by now.

: )=

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I managed it but it was trickier than I tough. Not more difficult, mind you - just trickier. I post these notes because they may be of help to other Canonet nuts. Reinstalling the viewfinder/rangefinder block is relatively easy, but then you will notice that the rangefinder doesn't work (that is, the small mirror doesn't move and thus the two images don't overlap). The reason is immediately evident: the gears that are attached under the block do not automatically engage the cams on the lens barrel. To make a long story short, after an evening of trying and cursing the procedure is as follows: 1) The block must be reinstalled while the lens barrel is rotated to the infinity position; 2) Once the block is in place, look for a small opening just in front of the semi-silvered mirror towards the front. This opening give access to the gear. You should use a nail or other similar instrument to push the gear back until the head of a small screw become visible through the hole, and a very satisfactory "clack" indicate that the gears have engaged the cams. Done.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration