Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE-1 viewfinder mirror sticks up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » AE-1 viewfinder mirror sticks up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AE-1 I bought off e-Bay and the viewfinder mirror sticks up after each picture. I either have to remove the lens and just touch the edge of the mirror with my finger and it will drop back down, or I gently bang the camera against my hand and it will drop back down. Is there a simple easy way to fix this problem?

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The foam rubber strip that runs across in front of the focusing screen has turned rotten and sticky and the mirror is sticking to it. There are a few options to fix this, but my preference is the kits sold for about $10 by Jon Goodman, who may pop up and respond to this himself. if he doesn't, try emailing [email protected] to inquire. Good instructions and a handy little tool are included with the necessary materials to fix both this and the (probably equally rotten) foam light seals around the back door.

: )=

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom, and thanks Rick...as Rick said, it is an easy and common fix. If you only have the one camera, the $6 kit will be more than enough for you, and I also have specific instructions for the AE-1, four pages with many images to help make the procedure easier. To see the kit you could go to E-Bay, search using the "Items by Seller" option and type in my ID...Interslice.

The $6 kit will allow you to re-seal 6 cameras like the AE-1, and shipping is free in the USA...only 80 cents to any other country, and the instructions are now available in English, Spanish and Italian.
Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration