Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Super Deluxe 1.5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Mamiya Super Deluxe 1.5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azazello

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently obtained one of these with a broken shutter, on closer inspectiod the, it seems that when the shutter is triggered, there is a click and i can see the leaves twitch. I think therefore it needs a clean inside.

I found four screws around the lens which I was going to remove. However, someone has been here before me and destroyed the head of one of the screws, therefore I'd like to know if there's a back route into the shutter mechanism? Or some tips on removing the screw?

Winfried

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On some cameras you can remove the rear lens elements with the shutter still in place and then you often find a retainer ring holding the shutter to the plate you can't get off. But from my experience with the Yashica Lynx14E which has a similar powerful lens I think this is not possible on your Mamiya.

You can still drill of the heads of the screw. All japanese cameras have metric screws, and on many older cameras I found that the screws holding the lens plate can be replaced by metric M2 (2mm bolt diameter) screws. If not you probably can find suitable screws from a junker camera such as an old Electro35 which has somewhat smaller screws.

Azazello

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to need a drill? oh heavy...anyone tried this sort of thing before?

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't need an electric drill - a manual crank-operated device will do. I drilled out the heads of countersunk screws several times on cameras. Since the remainder of the screw is without tension now it usually can be screwed off the threaded hole with pliers.

Azazello

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so I need to getlike, a 2mm drill bit and drill straight into the screw? How far? Just into the head?

Azazello

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES I dremeled out the screw. When i removed that cover there are some more screws underneath.

I need to unscrew these then rotate the elements out?

Azazello

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OKAY

I got the front element off and now there is one screw, that keeps rotating. It has a flat end, do I need to align this with something?

Sorry for the rapid posting

Azazello

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Camera log: Supplemntal

I realised that the screw that kept rotating needed to move so i could unwind the retaining ring as per:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/copalmxv/copalmxv.html

that done, I had to set about undoing the retaining ring.

Now I odn't know who owned this camera before me, but they glued down the ring with nailvarnish.

Red nail varnish.

Anyway, i am down to the actual mechanism but i still need some way to detatch the lens from the rear lens elements, any takers?

Jackson

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From reading your posts, I think you haven't yet removed the lens barrel from the body. If that's correct, I would suggest that you stop where you are. I've been through this process on the f/1.5, and I can tell you that it will almost certainly be necessary to clean both sides of the shutter blades. In addition, if the aperture ring doesn't turn very freely (it is not intentionally damped), you will also need to clean both sides of the aperture. Note that the aperture may start to stick after you clean the shutter. In my case, grease dissolved from the shutter apparently migrated to the aperture, and after a 24 hour sit, it froze completely. By all means, if that happens, do not force the aperture ring. Wet the aperture first, then rotate the ring while cleaning.

Incidentally, these operations can only be done with the lens barrel off the body and the front and rear glass removed. That point was driven home to me by several other contributors here during my own restoration work.

I can also describe the techniques that worked for me while cleaning these parts, but tell me first where you are presently in this entire process.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Azazello,

...."Now I odn't know who owned this camera before me, but they glued down the ring with nailvarnish. Red nail varnish".....

It was the manufacturer who put the varnish on the screw to prevent it from turning accidentally........

Jan

Azazello

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was me thinking I was so clever...Damn

I removed the entire lens (took a lot of work) and cleaned up the aperture and shutter. Left it to sit overnight, cleaned it again, put it together again and...IT WORKED.

Thanks for the help guys

Jackson

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be very interested to hear how your first few rolls turn out. Congrats on repairing a nice camera!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration