Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 light meter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE-1 light meter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ed M.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an AE-1 that works fine, except for the light meter. my battery is new, the ISO is set correctly, lens on correctly, film loaded correctly, shutter works just fine. it seems like the needle on the meter is always either at the very top or very bottom of the scale, but its at the bottom 95% of the time indicating underexposure. also, since the meter is broken, every time i set the aperture to automatic on the lens, it sends it all the way down to f/1.8 because it thinks it needs more light. even if its a sunny day and i have a shutter speed of 2". another interesting fact, is that if i set the shutter to bulb and trip it, i can point the lens from a light area to a dark area and get the needle to move and indicate correct exposure. i asked my photography teacher and he doesnt know either. im stuck. any ideas?

Ed

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

possibly the tungsten wire connecting the meter to the shutter.asa dial is broken

Ed M.

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the meter doomed to never work again? is this a simple "take it apart and solder it up" problem, or should i have a camera shop look at it so i dont screw everything up. what should i do?

Garry

Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a pretty common problem. Most likely the ASA dial cable controling the meter has snaped. It would have to be changed and re-aligned. We service this camera and should you have further questions please visit our web site for more details at www.garryscamera.com.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration