Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gray card technique for my Mamiya 100... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Gray card technique for my Mamiya 1000 DTL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell me if I'm right... In theory, if I use the "sunny 16" rule, I am thinking that a gray card placed in the sun and read at F16 at the proper shutter speed, say, 1/250 sec using ASA 200 film, I could calibrate my meter by adjusting the ASA setting on the camera until the meter reads for a proper exposure. Does this sound reasonable? Usually, if I set the ASA for the speed of the film and expose the way the meter tells me, the pictures are a little underexposed but with considerable loss of detail in the shadows. Opening up another stop or two usually corrects it.

Jackson

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The intensity of sunlight varies from one geographic area to the next, but the gray card should get you close. What happens if you simply shoot a few frames outdoors manually, using Sunny 16 rules, without regard for the meter? Are the shots still underexposed? Are you shooting negs or slides?

Steve

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes, but I usually overexpose from what the meter says on purpose a bit, since the first roll of film appeared underexposed. I also bracket some, if it's for an imprtant pic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration