Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Batteries for old Canon EF Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Batteries for old Canon EF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Swinney

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original style batteries for Canon EF are expensive and difficult to find. Please advise the closest "modern" batteries and ASA change for offsetting the higher battery voltage.

Steve

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nevermind the trolls. Here's a link that may help you. http://home.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/mercury.html Part of the problem with any modern replacements, even if they have the same or nearly the same voltage, is that as they discharge, their voltage doesn't stay constant, rather it drops. So, toward the end of their life span, they produce less voltage than required, causing the meter to read wrong. Meters are calibrated to operate on constant voltage, which is what the mercury cells do right up until they die. The most likely solution is to replace the cells with zinc-air cells, which need to be replaced usually within a couple of months after they are activated. They're pretty cheap, and require no recalibration of the meter, the downside being their short life span. Hope this helps...

Steve

Michael Linn

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original mercury cells weren't all that consistent. Depending on manufacturer, they could be anywhere from 1.3 to 1.4 volts when new. My Canon EF seems to have a bridge circuit as it gives the same readings with 1.35 volt and with 1.5 volt alkalines. It has one of the most accurate metering systems I've ever used- and I've been using it for thirty years.

bryan

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i have got the same question which u mentioned regarding The batteries problem for Canon EF are expensive and difficult to find. and now i am happy to get responce from u - thanks
bryan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration