Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CLA on Canonet G-III QL17 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » CLA on Canonet G-III QL17 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ayal

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Canonet G-III QL17 on eBay (without the rewind dial). I need advice as to where I can get that part (and other spare parts) short of buying another camera.

Also, I want to do a CLA on it before using it. What parts should I disassemble? Everything? What parts should I lubricate? And also, what are the best chemicals for cleaning the parts of the camera (inside and outside)? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Ayal.

If you are new to camera repair, this camera can be difficult to disassemble and reassemble. It is more complicated than some other cameras. Personally, I would first determine if the shutter and the aperture are working properly. If the aperture is working properly, it should open fully when the camera is cocked and the selector is set for the "A" (automatic) setting. If a battery is installed, the light sensor should select the proper aperture setting for the particular shutter speed and close the aperture to that setting before the shutter is opened. If all this is working, I would replace the light seals, do some general cleaning and see how the camera performs. If you need a kit for the light seals, I can send you one very cheaply...please let me know. Hopefully somebody here will have a re-wind knob. I will look at home and see if any I have might fit.

Jon

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would not assume that the camera requires an extensive CLA until I had run a roll (or two) of film through the camera and examined the results.

The Canon QL17 GIII is a "can of worms" to work on. It has a lot of functionality crammed into a small space in a very precise manner.

Fortunately, the camera is rather robust, and unless it has been severly abused, it is most likely in good operating condition. The most common ailment is grease migration onto the shutter and aperture blades, and there exists reams of information on the net on how to remedy this problem without major disassembly.

The light seal foam is most likely deteriorated and probably should be replaced.
Again, there is sufficient information on the net to allow you to do this repair with minimum trauma to the camera.

The old adage is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Regards,

Roland F. Harriston

Ezio

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the rewind dial you need and three donor cameras that can produce all the parts you might need. Just sende me an email. However, I would wholeheartly agree with the above suggestions - try the camera, and if ain't broke, don't (asssume to) fix it! My three donor cameras are the result of repair projects that went bonker!

Ezio

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George of Greece, are you there? I received your email, but I cannot reply because the system keeps telling me that your address doesn't exist. Could you perhpas give me a different address?

GEORGEGR

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ezio,
this adress maybe more convenient? Please let me know.
George

Kiron Kid

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ayal

I agree with Roland. If you are not experienced in these matter's, this is not the camera to learn on. Have it done professionally. However, I can vouch for Jon's foam & seal kit's. The best investment you can make for this, and many more camera's.

Kiron Kid

Henry

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although the Canonet QL17 Glll is rather sophisticated compared to many rangefinders of this era, it's not the 7 gallons of milk in a 5 gallon bucket reason that I advise newbies away from it. The reason is that they are assembled very tightly and without taking the time to make the special tools the camera ends up destroyed.

A sad fate for such a fine little camera...

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration