Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica AZ-1 meter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Fujica AZ-1 meter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anders Gidenstam

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a Fujica AZ-1 with a flaky lightmeter: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The whole shutter button assembly is a bit wobbly so the problem might be there, though I have not managed to find any correlation between "wobbling" of the shutter and the meter working or not. Does anyone know if there is a repair manual for this camera available somewhere or have other suggestions?

Regards
Anders Gidenstam

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First pressure on the shutter-release button makes the electrical contacts to activate the metering. I don't have an AZ-1 before me whereby to verify what follows here - but I recall that unlike the AX-1 model, the shutter speed dial of the AZ-1 can be tightened without any dismantling of the camera. The ring immediately outside the shutter release plunger is screwable to tighten - I believe. If it is loose it should be very easy to turn. Otherwise go no further.

Anders Gidenstam

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

However, I don't think the ring around the shutter button can be rotated (or at least not unwind itself) as there is a small screw in the back of it that (probably) goes into a groove in the back of the shutter button. Picture of AZ-1 shutter button.

Regards
Anders

Stuart Willis

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow ...My humble apologies Anders.
I have five different Fujica SLR models in my Collection and each one has been restored from "dead" status. They all vary a little in the detail but are fundamentally pretty much the same.

But I don't have an AZ-1 and what you show in your picture is not what I believed to be the configuration.

Write off my earlier email Anders. I cannot be of specific reliable constructive help.

There is little doubt that the set screw in the shutter release hub retains the plunger but even if you lift out the plunger it is doubtful you would gain access to the electrical contacts.

The contacts are in one of two places.
Either on the chassis under the top-plate - or, under the baseplate. The shutter release plunger transfers right down into the baseplate and this is where I would be looking in the first instance.

There are two or three contact sets and several soldered joints between the battery compartment and the metering user interface. There could be a dry joint, some corrosion or mucky contacts anywhere in that circuit. Such are the joys of electronics in cameras ;-(

Stuart Willis

Anders Gidenstam

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem, any help or advice is appreciated. :)
I'm not sure if I'll dare to try to take it apart or if I'll just get an external light meter instead. I recently aquired a FED-3 so a external meter is high on my wishlist anyway..

Best Regards
Anders

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration