Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica M4 shutter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Leica M4 shutter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

stefan schulz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently been given an excellent looking M4 with Summ. 50mm f/2. The first curtain at the slow speeds [1/30-1 sec] does not open all of the way ( 3mm shy of full open). The curtain is parallel with the film exposure frame (no skew). Is it posible for me to fix myself or must I send off for repair. I know of the adjustment screws under the loading diagram plate. I am not sure what does what. I do not have enough money to spend on a decent CLA at the moment.

Thanks for any help,or advise

stefan

Ed

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the shutter curtains tension if off==too weak or brake is not set corrrectly--more likely the tension. Really don't know of good way for someone to do this that doesn't have tester--higher would probably be off.

Henry

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The adjustment screws you are talking about will indeed increase the tension. And the curtain may even fully cycle then, however, the curtains will then be traveling too fast. All of the fast speeds will be wacked. What needs to be done is the CLA you lack the funds for.

There are two problems for the begining tinkerer when opening a M series Leica. Assuming this camera has never been opened, all the retaining rings will be very tight. Chances are friction methods will not be adequate. Loosening with regular tools will mar the surfaces depreciating the value of your camera. Not wise.

The second problem is buying (cost nearly as much as a CLA) or making the tools. I made mine. But if you only plan on doing this one Leica you'd be better off saving up your money and having a pro do it right.

Henry

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There has been some diagnosis of the possible problems, but I will offer a comment on the economics of the situation. The Leica M4 and Summicron in 'excellent looking' condition is probably worth well over $1000 as it sits. With a CLA the worth would be probably over $1500 on the famous auction site... the CLA will cost probably $200-$300 to pay an experienced professional to do.

I don't mind 'messing around' with old cameras, even some pretty nice old cameras, but I have two Leicas right now that need CLA and maybe some other work, and I won't dream of touching them. I don't have enough to 'practice on a bad one' until I learn, and I don't have the special tools nor would I feel comfortable buying them to risk opening up my M3 or M2 to save a couple hundred $$ at the risk of doing some 'inexperienced' damage...

Sometimes the best decision is to pay an experienced professional to do the work... I've read good recommendations for Don Goldberg and Sherry Krauter, two names I'm sure a Google search will uncover enough information to make your own judgement about. If you don't want to go to this trouble I'll give you a few hundred for the M4 'just to take it off your hands...' But then I'd send it in for CLA...!

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stefan,

I am in full agreement with the above posts. If you were 'given' the camera and spent $200.00 to $300.00 for a CLA, you would still end up with a pretty inexpensive M4.

To open the camera you need special tools, to adjust the shutter special instruments. You could never do a proper job. I have done some shutter adjustments on pre-war Leicas, but those were only so that the shutter 'clicked' properly and sounded healthy. I know that was barbarism, but since the cameras were not to be used......

The above suggestions of repair facilities are excellent, provided you are located in the US or Canada. If you are in Europe, there are many excellent possibilities in the UK, even Leica in Solms does repair work.

All the best,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration